Sabayon 7 gnome first update breaks the system

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 7 gnome first update breaks the system

Postby kamilnadeem » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:31

There is a problem in sabayon 7 gnome . The installation works fine. the system runs well but as soon as the system updates(gnome base lib something) the whole interface breaks. Only an ugly blue desktop background remains and the icons. I have tried the fallback mode and it is also broken.
I have gone through the same process 2 times. any fix for it?.
kamilnadeem
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 7 gnome first update breaks the system

Postby micia » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:36

Hi kamilnadeem, welcome to the Sabayon Forums and Community :mrgreen:

Could you post here:
/var/log/entropy/entropy.log (log from the package manager)
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
~/.xsession-errors

So that we can check if there is some issues with your X Server configuration?

Also, could you provide some informations on your video card and video drivers?
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby kamilnadeem » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:40

I had deleted the partition after the second time same stuff happened but I will reinstall it and not upgrade it and post the output you have asked for but please tell have I to provide you this information after upgrading because the whole system is not usable after the interface breaks.
Also I am new to sabayon(this is the first time I have installed Sabayon) so please excuse me for any ignorant questions that I may ask.
My graphic card is Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT.
kamilnadeem
Baby Hen

Postby genfool » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:47

equo install gdk-pixbuf

sounds like your issue ... give it a rey
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby kamilnadeem » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:31

I am currently installing Sabayon :) and I will run that command on the Installation before Updating.
kamilnadeem
Baby Hen

Postby korvinus » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:30

You need to run it after the first update, i think the update that breaks it is called librsvg or something similar. I had it aswell on a new install of Sabayon 7 gnome, but running the command mentioned above fixed it straight away.
korvinus
Baby Hen

Postby kamilnadeem » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:52

I have installed it and as the gui system updating is not working(the repo are having some problem, here is how it looks when the process halts http://i.imgur.com/8oWJd.png and here is the stuff that has happened before it halts http://pastebin.com/YQV66gsr ) so checked out sabayobn Wiki updated using terminal and all worked out fine only that no updates happened. I talked to some nice people on the IRC who helped me a lot and they said the update done in the terminal is Okay.
But I have again run whole update procedure mentioned here https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... _upgrading just so that you guys can be sure and here is it result http://pastebin.com/vH2iA6XN .
I will restart as written in the Wiki after posting this, please also check an tell that are correct Nvidia drivers(I have been told by a person in Irc that it is correct) installed because the system gets quite laggy(the game vvvvvv runs very badly on the gnome shell while it runs fine on fallback mode) and I am using the force fallback mode(I have a decent config. Memory 2.0 GiB, Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz × 2 , graphics GeForce 9800 GT/PCI/SSE2 , Os type 32bit and Disk size 40gb..
kamilnadeem
Baby Hen

Postby Codalunga » Fri Oct 14, 2011 17:49

Hi everyone :mrgreen:
Same happened to me: first update and then gnome breaks. I was able to install both xfce and lxde but they didn't work either. Right now I did a fresh install of sabayon, but Entropy tells me there's no update available. Could it be that the mentioned update has been removed? Or is there something wrong with my Entropy? :shock:
Codalunga
Baby Hen

Postby raman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 21:30

Dunno, I installes Xfce Sab 7 without problems.
raman
Advanced Hen

Postby micia » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:12

Codalunga wrote:Hi everyone :mrgreen:
Same happened to me: first update and then gnome breaks. I was able to install both xfce and lxde but they didn't work either. Right now I did a fresh install of sabayon, but Entropy tells me there's no update available. Could it be that the mentioned update has been removed? Or is there something wrong with my Entropy? :shock:

What do you mean exactly by "Gnome breaks"?
micia
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers