Do you have any Entropy Store/Sulfur UI Redesign Suggestions

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Do you have any Entropy Store/Sulfur UI Redesign Suggest

Postby PennyRoyal » Fri Sep 09, 2011 16:20

I would find it useful if there were a preview or screenshot of the selected program. I run across all these beautiful desktop captures and wonder..."WOW... I wish I knew what app/widget/utility, etc... that is". A visual hint would keep me from randomly installing stuff thinking "That's the one", only to end up messing up my system. (I know I shouldn't... but sometimes I get a curious on) :lol: .

I do like Sulfur and wouldn't want it to lose it's identity.

Penny
Sabayon 14 KDE64
i7 4770K @ 3.5
MSI Z87-GD65 w/CM V8 HSF
16GB Vengeance DDR3 w/GMCEC0 HSF
EVGA GTX670 x2 SLI
240 Neutron GTX SSD
3x2TB SATA
CM HAF 932 w/Corsair 850w
Upstar M280A1 4k 28"

"Teamwork: A lot of people doing what I say!"
PennyRoyal
Simple Hen

Postby myth » Sat Sep 10, 2011 13:46

Hi, wouldn't it be good if we could download more than one package simultaneously?
It would speed up a lot!
myth
Baby Hen

Postby mythus » Sat Sep 10, 2011 21:14

PennyRoyal wrote:I would find it useful if there were a preview or screenshot of the selected program. I run across all these beautiful desktop captures and wonder..."WOW... I wish I knew what app/widget/utility, etc... that is". A visual hint would keep me from randomly installing stuff thinking "That's the one", only to end up messing up my system. (I know I shouldn't... but sometimes I get a curious on) :lol: .

I do like Sulfur and wouldn't want it to lose it's identity.

Penny

Greetings,

Not the right thread, but since this was mentioned here: I think that this issue that PennyRoyal has mentioned could be remedied simply if everyone who posts screenshots would identify the various widgets/apps/etc that are visible in their screenshot. That way screenshot threads could both be entertaining/e-male-genitalia increaser and informational/instructive!
Legends of Nor'Ova - Post appocalyptic steampunk-like forum and Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book site
mythus
Baby Hen

Postby batvink » Sun Sep 11, 2011 15:33

sometimes sulfur drops support for a package, and marks it for removal.
But if there are packages depending on it, it wants to remove those packages as well.

for example;
not so long ago, support was dropped for 'dev-lang/spidermonkey' and sulfur marked it for removal.
but if you let sulfur to remove that package, it also would remove avant-window-navigator-extras, vlc, xulrunner
and gnome-shell.. without a warning!!!....
The average user, who is not aware of this, end up with broken links and programs that doesn't work anymore.

so you end up on the commandline and manually remove the package with the '--nodeps' option,
to keep the other programs.

It would be nice, that if sulfur drops support for a package, and marks it for removal, at least you get informed what
other packages the program is depending on, and/or add the '--nodeps' option to keep the other programs.
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby Nick_Djinn » Tue Sep 13, 2011 19:29

How about something that installs Nvidia and ATI and even wifi drivers as easily as the Ubuntu Hardware driver manager?
Nick_Djinn
Young Hen

Postby Franque » Sun Oct 09, 2011 15:14

Your update manager for Sabayon seems to take quite a while to process updates, especially if you have a lot of updates.
I have a Dell Optiplex 745, which is a 64 bit system. And, I'm on Verizon FIOS. Have to look it up to find the exact speed of my connection, but they just upgraded me. I think on a rating of 1 to 5, I have at least their 3. Being FIOS, I think from other newsgroups I've read, it's about the fastest available in the U.S.
I just did the last mega update to Sabayon, so I guess I have your operating system's latest version. I like it well enough overall. But, I have this system partitioned and using two different versions of Linux. The other one is Linux Mint Debian. My wife loves Windwoes (mispelling intentional), so I left that on our laptop. But, I decided to replace the windows on this, and Sabayon won out.
However, when I compare update speeds between the two, It seems as though the Linux Mint updates process faster. I have no easy way to do a side-by-side comparison. But, If I have roughly 50 to 100 program updates for Sabayon, they seem to take over an hour to process. I don't think Linux Mint Debian, or even Ubuntu, take this long.
So, making this faster would probably be a wonderful improvement.
Now, forgive me for going off-topic, and being too lazy to go to another forum.
But, I'd suggest a change to the desktop. Right now, you have most things hidden so that it looks elegant instead of cluttered. OK. BUT, I think programs currently running should have a thumbnail either on the desktop or along the bottom of the screen, so you can click between them, instead of having to ALT-TAB to switch between them.
Anyway, thanks for having an easier and more manageable version of GENTOO. I've just got too much chaos in my life to be able to take all the time GENTOO would require. The option of Gnome was most helpful, too.
Franque
Baby Hen

Postby msdobrescu » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:11

Hello,

Today I had to reinstall my Sabayon. So I took the 7K iso, installed it and updated it.
It requested 588 updates. At a certain moment it started to beep. I was truly scared, like a hardware alarm.
It told me to run some update script from the command line, for python.

In the past, I had great issues if I missed some command I had to do after update, so I think some report on necessary hand commands must be implemented (enforced to the package installation mechanisms).
Ideally would be automatic creation of a script, but listing them would suffice.

Thank you,
Mike
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Previous

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers