Gnome3 Update problems

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Gnome3 Update problems

Postby r_dhara » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:14

Hi

I recently updated the sabayon to gnome 3.2 and after the updates iam facing a lot of problems.

First gnome-shell is not working now earlier with 3.0 it was working and even in the fallback mode i could see/use only the desktop ..no gnome menus , no gnome panels and task bar.

I could start the gnome panels and task bar manually in the terminal ( right click on the desktop and open in terminal )
but with lots of errors..below.This also applies to gnome-shell when i try to start from the terminal

gnome-panel
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "globalmenu-plugin"

(gnome-panel:8738): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2295: signal `size_request' is invalid for instance `0xb2d990'
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "globalmenu-plugin"

The system for some reason after the update does not load the panels and task bars,menus in the fallback mode.does anybody have the same problem.

Note: Iam using nvidia drivers that came with the recent sabayon update for 3.0 kernel.

Any help would be highly appreciated

Thanks in advance,
r_dhara
r_dhara
Baby Hen

Re: Gnome3 Update problems

Postby alonsoty » Sat Oct 08, 2011 13:29

...same (lot of) issue here with amdx64G version !!! :cry:

in addition I have a lot of SEGFAULT applications, DBUS malfunction, GKSU hanging and some keyboard strange behavour (maybe the new Caribou/Orca/GOK packages needed for new GDM)!
some graphical problem (but not all) disappear after reinstall:
Code: Select all
# equo install pygtk gdk-pixbuf

and even:
# dbus-uuidgen --ensure
# dbus-uuidgen > /var/lib/dbus/machine-id
# dbus-uuidgen > /etc/machine-id

now I try reinstall packages with:
equo upgrade --replay

in order to be sure not due to problems on my machine... then finished I will start investigate further...
However, if I resolve completely surely I will tell you. :wink:

someone with some advice are very very welcome!!! :P
alonsoty
Advanced Hen

Postby Crypto_ahash » Sat Oct 08, 2011 16:18

gnome-shell not working is because Sabayon team patched GDM and gnome-session to force everyone to use Gnome Fallback.
Try copying your /etc/skel/* to your ~/
logout and back in.
Crypto_ahash
Young Hen

Postby r_dhara » Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:13

Thanks.I will try that out.

Iam fine with the system being in fallback mode without gnome-shell.The only problem is the gnome panel and taskbar don't appear automatically when logged in from GDM in fallback mode. I have to manually start them from the terminal.
r_dhara
Baby Hen

Postby alonsoty » Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:37

Crypto_ahash I do not think is a "Sabayon team" choice!
...In addition to me does not work the "fallback" mode...

You can (should) always switch from the "fallback" to "standard" simply:
$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name gnome-fallback

or
$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name gnome

:roll:
alonsoty
Advanced Hen

Postby micia » Sun Oct 09, 2011 13:23

Crypto_ahash wrote:gnome-shell not working is because Sabayon team patched GDM and gnome-session to force everyone to use Gnome Fallback.
Try copying your /etc/skel/* to your ~/
logout and back in.

They patched GDM and gnome-session to make ATI fglrx users to use gnome-fallback, since fglrx makes gnome-shell unstable and unusable :)

However that issue will be most likely fixed reinstalling gdk-pixbuf, as alonsoty suggested.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby alonsoty » Sun Oct 09, 2011 14:03

I've finishied reinstall "everything" but no luck :cry:
...with Gnome 3.2.0 my system fall in a great disaster!

many GTK+ application failed, even Magneto Notifier works in a very strange way (XY are shown instead of magneto.py process in the notification bar), graphical sulfur died prematurely, even the Aisleriot Gnome-game returns SEGFAULT and so on...!!!

For now I can still work (albeit with some problems).
I think the newly GTK+3.2.0 made a drastic change in something and a lot of packages need rebuild!

hoping to reach a best versions of Gnome3, for the moment, I get alongside a second DE!
What you think?
alonsoty
Advanced Hen

Postby micia » Sun Oct 09, 2011 14:13

alonsoty, do you get any error in .xsession-errors? I have the latest GNOME3.2 and everything works as expected.
Have you tried the always helpful:
(as root)
equo deptest && equo libtest

:wink:

also be sure to manually install gdk-pixbuf, I heard that sometimes it does not get pulled automatically, I don't know why:
(as root)
#force gdk-pixbuf update
equo install gdk-pixbuf
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby alonsoty » Sun Oct 09, 2011 14:36

Thanks micia, I've already tried all your suggestion!

I've a lot of warning and errors in my ~/.xsession-errors file...
for example (session opened by 10 minutes):
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
which: no keychain in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.5.2:/usr/games/bin)
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session
gnome-keyring-daemon: insufficient process capabilities, unsecure memory might get used
gnome-keyring-daemon: insufficient process capabilities, unsecure memory might get used
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-zrgbwr
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/keyring-zrgbwr/gpg:0:1
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-zrgbwr/ssh
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-zrgbwr/ssh

(gnome-settings-daemon:13222): power-plugin-WARNING **: Failed set DPMS mode: Could not set DPMS timeouts

** (gnome-settings-daemon:13222): WARNING **: Connection failed, reconnecting...

(gnome-settings-daemon:13222): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get edid: unable to get EDID for output
E: main.c: Avvio del demone non riuscito.
Failed to play sound: Not available
Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
      JS LOG: GNOME Shell started at Sun Oct 09 2011 14:47:41 GMT+0200 (CEST)

** (nautilus:13281): WARNING **: Can not calculate _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS

** (nautilus:13281): WARNING **: Can not calculate _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS

** (nautilus:13281): WARNING **: Can not get _NET_WORKAREA

** (nautilus:13281): WARNING **: Can not determine workarea, guessing at layout

** (gnome-settings-daemon:13222): WARNING **: Connection failed, reconnecting...
Avviso del window manager: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct.
Avviso del window manager: Got a request to focus 0x1600004 (Scrivania) with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!
Avviso del window manager: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct.

(gnome-settings-daemon:13222): power-plugin-WARNING **: failed to turn the panel on: Could not set DPMS timeouts

(gnome-settings-daemon:13222): power-plugin-WARNING **: failed to turn the panel on: Could not set DPMS timeouts

(firefox:13617): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_clipboard_set_with_data: assertion `targets != NULL' failed
Avviso del window manager: Got a request to focus 0x2400006 ([email protected]) with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!
NOTE: child process received `Goodbye', closing down

(firefox:13617): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion `!display->closed' failed

(firefox:13617): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion `!display->closed' failed
Avviso del window manager: Got a request to focus 0x2400006 ([email protected]) with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!

(gnome-terminal:13456): GLib-WARNING **: Failed to read from child watch wake up pipe: Chiamata di sistema interrotta

enigmail.js: Registered components
enigmail.js: Registered components

/home/alonsoty/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/Root-Nautilus: line 21: 21078 Errore di segmentazione $sudotool "nautilus --no-desktop $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_CURRENT_URI"

(gnome-terminal:21221): GLib-WARNING **: Failed to read from child watch wake up pipe: Chiamata di sistema interrotta
Avviso del window manager: Got a request to focus 0x16003ae (Home) with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!

If you don't have any problems... :twisted:
at this point i think my Sabayon 5.2G rolled/ranged up to here for more than year need a reinstall!
alonsoty
Advanced Hen

Postby cmost » Sun Oct 09, 2011 17:03

I can report that with the recent slew of updates, most if not all of my Gnome related issues in KDE have been resolved! I can now launch many of the GTK apps that wouldn't launch before and ever more of my icons have reappeared in GTK apps that would launch but didn't look right. Even Firefox now sports folder icons in the bookmarks menu again. I don't know what the Sabayon devs did, but whatever it was...it WORKED!! Thank you!!! :P
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers