"KDE Plasma Workspace" shows twice in "Sessions" [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

"KDE Plasma Workspace" shows twice in "Sessions" [Solved]

Postby NotExcessive » Mon Sep 26, 2011 16:30

Hi - this may have something to do with the fact that I have to reboot my laptop several times for KDE to start up.

On the login screen, when you select "Sessions", the entry "KDE Plasma Workspace" shows up twice in a row, before being followed by "KDE Plasma Workspace (failsafe session)."

How do I clean this up and remove the duplicate entry?
Last edited by NotExcessive on Tue Sep 27, 2011 0:07, edited 1 time in total.
NotExcessive
Simple Hen

Re: "KDE Plasma Workspace" shows twice in "Sessions" from lo

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 18:00

NotExcessive wrote:Hi - this may have something to do with the fact that I have to reboot my laptop several times for KDE to start up.

Sorry to disappoint you, but duplicate entries in the Session Menu on the KDM log-in screen are very unlikely to be the cause of that, as they don't affect my installation that way. Anyway, you can get rid of the second KDE entry as follows:

Have a look in the directories /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions and /usr/share/xsessions to see if you have two Desktop Configuration Files for KDE.

Code: Select all
$ ls /usr/share/xsessions
fluxbox.desktop  KDE-4.desktop  XBMC.desktop

Code: Select all
$ ls /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions
9wm.desktop        asclassic.desktop  enlightenment.desktop  gnome.desktop            larswm.desktop    olwm.desktop      ratpoison.desktop  w9wm.desktop
aewm.desktop       blackbox.desktop   evilwm.desktop         golem.desktop            lwm.desktop       openbox.desktop   sapphire.desktop   waimea.desktop
aewm++.desktop     cde.desktop        fluxbox.desktop        icewm.desktop            matchbox.desktop  oroborus.desktop  sawfish.desktop    wm2.desktop
afterstep.desktop  ctwm.desktop       flwm.desktop           ion.desktop              metacity.desktop  phluid.desktop    twm.desktop        wmaker.desktop
amaterus.desktop   cwwm.desktop       fvwm95.desktop         kde-plasma.desktop       mwm.desktop       pwm.desktop       ude.desktop        xfce4.desktop
amiwm.desktop      e16.desktop        fvwm.desktop           kde-plasma-safe.desktop  olvwm.desktop     qvwm.desktop      vtwm.desktop       xfce.desktop

If you have /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions/kde-plasma.desktop then you can delete /usr/share/xsessions/KDE-4.desktop (I'd first copy it to your home directory before finally deleting it after logging-out/in to test) then you will have removed the second KDE entry from the KDM Sessions Menu.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: "KDE Plasma Workspace" shows twice in "Sessions" from lo

Postby NotExcessive » Tue Sep 27, 2011 0:07

Yep - that cured it. Thanks :)
NotExcessive
Simple Hen

Re: "KDE Plasma Workspace" shows twice in "Sessions" [Solved

Postby NotExcessive » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:56

Oh and by the way, it also seems to have cured the multiple-boot-until-KDE-starts problem as well. Since I did this, KDE has fired up each and every time (at least so far, knock on plastic.)
NotExcessive
Simple Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers