Gnome updates wreaking havoc in KDE [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Gnome updates wreaking havoc in KDE [Solved]

Postby cmost » Sun Oct 02, 2011 17:09

I am really getting tired of being victimized by Gnome developers and their horrid new creation Gnome 3. As a happy KDE user, I used to enjoy a lovely desktop experience where my GTK+ and QT apps existed in perfect harmony. With oxygen-gtk, a few font tweaks and unified icon themes, my desktop was seamless regardless of which toolkit an app was written in. Lately, my desktop is a disaster. When Gnome 3 hit the repositories, all my GTK apps looked significantly different (large clunky fonts and missing icons,) some GTK apps crash (segfault) and refuse to start and I no longer had icons in my Firefox bookmarks menu. Does anyone know where to begin trying to fix this?

Yesterday, a new slew of Gnome 3.2 updates came down (Limbo) and now I can no longer launch most GTK apps at all, and the ones that do launch have screwed up titlebars, menus and no icons whatsoever, including Sulfur. Even Compiz's Emerald themer is screwed up with these updates. What the hell is going on with Gnome? It's no wonder Linux will never be taken seriously as a mainstream OS. Developers are constantly pulling the rug out from under users by making drastic changes. The old expression "if if ain't broke, don't fix it" applies with regards to Gnome 3. This is a case where too much choice is a bad thing and we users will only take so much before we decide it's not worth the trouble any more!

Here's the error I get when trying to start Sulfur, for example (all GTK apps give a variation of the same as of yesterday's updates.)
Code: Select all
sulfur_client.py:19842): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_settings_set_long_property: assertion `GTK_SETTINGS (settings)' failed

(sulfur_client.py:19842): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_settings_set_long_property: assertion `GTK_SETTINGS (settings)' failed

(sulfur_client.py:19842): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_settings_set_string_property: assertion `GTK_SETTINGS (settings)' failed

(sulfur_client.py:19842): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_settings_set_string_property: assertion `GTK_SETTINGS (settings)' failed

/usr/lib/entropy/sulfur/sulfur/core.py:49: GtkWarning: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/actions/edit-find.png'
  gtk.glade.XML.__init__(self, filename, rootname, domain)
/usr/lib/entropy/sulfur/sulfur/core.py:49: GtkWarning: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/actions/edit-find.png'
  gtk.glade.XML.__init__(self, filename, rootname, domain)
Last edited by cmost on Mon Oct 03, 2011 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Re: Gnome updates wreaking havoc in KDE

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 17:28

You have my sympathies, and I can't say I'm surprised: I've been expecting GNOME 3 to have a knock-on effect on GTK apps used with KDE. It has not happened to me yet on my main laptop on which I only have Portage installed, but I'm still expecting some GNOME 3-related trouble on that machine at any time when I upgrade some of the GNOME apps I'm using. Actually, I have a suspicion that the problem I am seeing with NetworkManager 0.9.0 on another of my laptops (on which I am using Entropy) -- see NetworkManager 0.9.0 very flaky with wireless network -- is GNOME 3-related, as I think the changes to NetworkManager were put in to make it GNOME 3-compatible. Memories of the hassles with the early KDE 4 releases come flooding back.

cmost wrote:It's no wonder Linux will never be taken seriously as a mainstream OS. Developers are constantly pulling the rug out from under users by making drastic changes.

cmost wrote:This is a case where too much choice is a bad thing...

Completely agree with you on both counts.

All I can suggest is that you file a bug report, pronto, and hope that lxnay or one of the other guys can do something about it. If you've read some of lxnay's blog posts recently, you'll have noticed that he's not exactly chuffed with all this messing around upstream either.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sun Oct 02, 2011 21:13

I second all that. Today's large slew of Gnome updates on my KDE machine (I keep Gnome on it for interest) has broken my pychess, my emerald theme and, until I removed it, kept telling me that "In order to use Caribou, accessibility needs to be enabled".
My main hope is that I remember the furore when KDE4 appeared and how quickly it has matured. Presumably the same will happen to Gnome.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby genfool » Sun Oct 02, 2011 21:41

yup, just catching up with them now ... be surprised how many in the #sabayon channel has the same issue.
We kicking it around and looking for a solution ... not a big deal if this was only limbo ... but is in the main repos also.
Put on your seat belts .... going to be a rough ride.
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby raman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 21:50

God bless Sabayon and kick away Gnome3.
raman
Advanced Hen

Postby joost » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:27

<lxnay|lappie2> the problem is in the workaround proposed by gentoo/other about setting __GL_NO_DSO_FINALIZER=1
<lxnay|lappie2> unset __GL_NO_DSO_FINALIZER && gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders
<lxnay|lappie2> ^^ works too

A fix in Entropy should be available soon.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:09

joost wrote:A fix in Entropy should be available soon.

Thank you. Today's x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf-2.24.0-r1 has fixed the problems I was having. :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby bartos » Mon Oct 03, 2011 16:24

Hopefully the fix corrects gnome which for me is today broke. I can login but no dash, just shortcuts on desktop with no icons.
bartos
Young Hen

Postby ctreb » Mon Oct 03, 2011 18:53

I had exactly the same symptoms in Gnome 3 after the 3.2 update. No gnome shell, no window manager, almost no icons. All I could do was open a nautilus window without a WM or icons.
lxnay posted the following command on IRC which fixed mine for now. It's only a workaround though.
Code: Select all
wget http://pastebin.sabayon.org/pasties/store/7258/pastie.txt -q -O- > /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache

I've just noticed brand new updates to gdm and gnome-session. Can someone confirm if these are fixes for this problem? It's 4:20AM here and I'm off to bed so I won't be trying them until tomorrow.
ctreb
Baby Hen

Postby cmost » Mon Oct 03, 2011 23:02

Today's updates corrected the icons problem and most of the issues I was having with GTK apps. I'm going to monitor the situation carefully but tentatively mark this thread "Solved" for now!

THANK YOU SABAYON DEVS FOR A FAST FIX!!! :D
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Next

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers