Can't login after selecting 'Display Chooser' [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Can't login after selecting 'Display Chooser' [Solved]

Postby chris_debian » Wed Sep 21, 2011 22:48

Hi, all.

I can't log-in to my normal user account after doing a fresh install and then changing an xfce setting.

When I finished the install, the logon screen just had a text box for me to type my login name, press enter and then type in my password.

In my last distribution, the list of users was displayed, which made it quicker for my girlfriend to select her username and logon. I wanted the same behaviour in Sabayon, so looked in the xfce settings. I think I ended up in the 'Settings/ Session and Start-up/ General' settings and selected something called 'Display chooser on login'. Now when I log in , I enter my username and password and get presented with a box asking me to give a name to this profile (I think). Strangely though, I can't type into the box, so my only option is to select 'cancel' or 'logon'. it won't let me logon, because I haven't entered a name for the profile (because I can't), and if I select 'cancel', it just asks me to logon again (as I'd expect). I don't want this to happen and would be happy to go back to the plain (normal) logon screen. I can confirm that I can logon using my girlfriend's account, so this is specific to my account. I can also logon as myself, from another (non X) TTY.

Can anyone help me undo this config mistake that I've made?

Thanks,

Chris.
chris_debian
Simple Hen

Re: Can't login after selecting 'Display Chooser' in setting

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 17:03

Don't use Xfce myself so can only hazard a guess, but have you tried something like that show in the Ubuntu Forums post: HOWTO restore xfce4's menu? If you can log in to a VT using your own user name, then you should be able to fix (overwrite) the config file that you changed via the GUI.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby chris_debian » Thu Sep 22, 2011 17:22

Thanks for the reply.needed my login, so did a fresh install.

Cheers,

Chris.
chris_debian
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 17:41

Seems it would be worth you heeding the advice in the second post of that thread:

Cato2 wrote:Apparently these problems happen when XFCE crashes - so backing up the contents of ~/.config is well worth it
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Can't login after selecting 'Display Chooser' [Solved]

Postby chris_debian » Thu Sep 22, 2011 18:30

That's good advice.

Thanks,

Chris.
chris_debian
Simple Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers