Any GTK+ apps - segmentation fault [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Any GTK+ apps - segmentation fault [Solved]

Postby cmost » Sun Sep 18, 2011 17:20

Today I stupidly upgraded my oxygen-gtk, which I employ for unified appearance for my KDE 4.7 desktop. After compiling and installing the latest version just released days ago, I started receiving the following error for ANY GTK application (using firefox as the example.)

Code: Select all
cmost@cmost-sabayon64 ~ $ firefox

(firefox-bin:17550): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_settings_set_long_property: assertion `GTK_SETTINGS (settings)' failed

(firefox-bin:17550): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_settings_set_long_property: assertion `GTK_SETTINGS (settings)' failed

(firefox-bin:17550): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_settings_set_string_property: assertion `GTK_SETTINGS (settings)' failed

(firefox-bin:17550): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_icon_theme_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed

(firefox-bin:17550): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_icon_theme_get_search_path: assertion `GTK_IS_ICON_THEME (icon_theme)' failed
Segmentation fault

My system is fully up-to-date (Limbo enabled, Gnome 3.02 libraries, etc.) I did some research online and discovered that oxygen-gtk does not support Gnome 3 libraries and the workaround was to remove it and choose another theme for GTK apps. Trying to do a make uninstall on the oxygen-gtk failed for some reason:

cmost@cmost-sabayon64 ~/Downloads/Oxygen-gtk/oxygen-gtk/build $ sudo make uninstall
Password:
make: *** No rule to make target `uninstall'.  Stop.

I tried choosing a different GTK theme (QTcurve) in KDE control center --> Appearance --> GTK apps but this fails to fix the above segmentation fault. Does anyone have any idea how to get things back to normal? I think I'm going to have to manually remove the rogue oxygen-gtk program by deleting all its files, but I want to make sure this is the best course of action before proceeding. Any help greatly appreciated.
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Re: Any GTK+ apps - segmentation fault [Solved]

Postby cmost » Mon Sep 19, 2011 0:23

Problem solved (sort of...)

I realized that oxygen-gtk does not support GTK3. There's an early alpha of oxygen-gtk that does support GTK3, which I downloaded with Git with the following command:

git clone -b gtk3 git://anongit.kde.org/oxygen-gtk

After compiling and installing this version, I did the ffollowing to link the new theme engine to GTK3 apps.

sudo ln -s /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-3.0 ~/.config/gtk-3.0

After that, MOST of my GTK apps work as expected. Of course they're using the ugly GTK3 fonts and Firefox doesn't show folders, even after I did: (Where 'Prefered Gnome Icon Theme = whatever icon theme you want Gnome 3 to use...)

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme 'Preferred Gnome Icon Theme'

Audacious still won't work!!! I get a string of similar errors when trying to launch it from the command line. I can use Amarok in the meantime. Ugh!

But, I can live with the result. I miss Gnome 2.32... :evil:
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers