I broke Entropy by installing Nvidia Kernel?

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

I broke Entropy by installing Nvidia Kernel?

Postby Nick_Djinn » Sun Sep 11, 2011 18:49

Help. I am a new refugee from Ubuntu/Mint. I am not an advanced user as Ubuntu keeps things fairly point and click (though people still give you attitude if you don't understand how to dial in their CLI based instructions).

I am really interested in the concept of Portage and am interested in learning Sabayon, which seems a bit more polished than Gentoo for an end user experience. I think its great that its easier to install from source. Does it also resolve dependencies when you install from source code?

Anyway, I was trying to get my Nvidia drivers to work. I ubuntu there is a menu option for "hardware drivers", you click on it, choose the version you want, and it installs with a reboot. I tried installing the Nvidia drivers from the Entropy Store, since that is often the first step in debian based editions. I installed two versions, the Sabayon as well as the Fusion versions, both in 3.0 kernel.

Since I have rebooted Entropy not only refuses to launch, but the 'System' portion of my Gnome menu appears to have vanished. Out of the 3, there is now only "Applications" and "Places", and the third has vanished.

The system is working though cube effect in compiz isnt working though it says its enabled in Compiz settings. I must not have the 3d driver or compositing enabled, and I would like to do that as well.

Can this installation be salvaged or do I have to do a reinstall? Id like to stick with this distro long enough to learn Portage, but it depends on how easy it is to trouble shoot.
Nick_Djinn
Young Hen

Re: I broke Entropy by installing Nvidia Kernel?

Postby Nick_Djinn » Sun Sep 11, 2011 20:22

Got Entropy back after updating with Equo. System menu still missing.

I know its a totally different distro, but any chance of getting Mint Menu here? I prefer it to having the space hogging double panel. Id rather have docky or Cairo.
Nick_Djinn
Young Hen

Re: I broke Entropy by installing Nvidia Kernel?

Postby genfool » Sun Sep 11, 2011 22:57

Any system can be salvaged ... sounds like maybe you need to install gnom-shell?
Is known to not work with some video cards, so up to the user to install.
maybe this old post help you some, you need not worry about limbo or any of that stuff, but a few good tweaks to help you.
http://www.sabayon.org/article/testing-gnome-3
genfool
Technological Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers