my desktop's e17 appears broken: symbol lookup error[Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

my desktop's e17 appears broken: symbol lookup error[Solved]

Postby joe3 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:36

It wasn't very long ago that I installed Sabayon_Linux_6_amd64_E17.iso to my laptop. Once I got that working I decided to add it to my desktop. Though I had some installation problems
( see: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25215& )
Because my 6 year old HP Pavilion a140n with an AMD Athlon 64 processor and 1 gig of ram, has an integrated
"Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE" graphics adapter that does not respond well to the nouveau driver (so far on any of 5 different Linux distros)

Once I solved that with the vesa driver long enough to install, I started using equo to
1) install a real nvidia driver.
2) install the same packages I'd added to the laptop including the e16 wm and updateing the e17 to the latest
version. Then I rebooted. Everthing was as expected except of the two installed gui environments e17 & e16, the only one I can start is e16. For some reason E17 fails...

When I use the "nox" kernel option and then try to start e17 from a virtual console with startx and a very simple ~/.xinitrc I get this error on the tty I ran startx from...
Code: Select all
/usr/bin/enlightenment: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/enlightenment: undefined symbol: EFREET_EVENT_DESKTOP_CACHE_BUILD
xinit: connection to X server lost
But I really don't have a clue what it means.

All I know is right now I'm tired (was up all night with the install and then using equo to install a bunch of packages) and I can't hardly think
Last edited by joe3 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
joe3
Advanced Hen

Re: my desktop's e17 appears broken: symbol lookup error

Postby joe3 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:43

I said I was tired didn't I... Well I almost made it to sleep when my subconscious started going "ooh ooh ooh" like that old cop character on car 54 where are you... ;-)

I had updated e17, but I hadn't done a full system update yet... DUH I'm blaming CRS, that's all there is to it...

# equo update
# equo --ask upgrade
# reboot

Problem solved.

I'll mark the thread solved as soon as my tired head stops bouncing of the keyboard.

Though I've noticed another petty thing that I'd hate to start another thread over.
Nevermind, I figured out the Hostname thing...
For temporary change that takes effect now:
# hostname newhostname
For a durable change effective on next boot:
edit /etc/conf.d/hostname
joe3
Advanced Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers