Network card goes down

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Network card goes down

Postby lsabayon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 18:50

Hi,

My network card seems to be failing after browsing the net or updating sabayon for whatever after about 20min or less.

Is there any reason behind this? After about 20min or 10min even I can't internet, access no router or do anything related, not update my system.

The network card works fine in Win7, there I have no problems but in linux it seems to stop working constantly.

Thanks.
lsabayon
Baby Hen

Re: Network card goes down

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 20:47

lsabayon wrote:Is there any reason behind this?

It's not to be expected, if that's what you mean. There's no good reason, and it's impossible for anyone to offer advice without you giving more information. What is your hardware? Which desktop environment are you using? Which network manager are you using? Are you using a wired or wireless network connection? If it is a wireless connection, are you using an unencrypted or an encrypted network? If encrypted, what type of encryption are you using? Is there any error message from the network manager GUI or desktop environment to indicate the loss of connection? If there is, what precisely is it? Are there any error messages in the file /var/log/messages? Are there any error messages in the output of the dmesg command before and after the loss of connection? Which network driver are you using (package name and version)? What manufacturer and model of router are you using?

What is the console output when you enter the following commands as root user in a Konsole/Terminal window (perform the last three before and after a loss of connection in order to see if there are any differences)?

Code: Select all
uname -a
lspci
lsusb
lsmod
dmesg
cat /var/log/messages | grep -i error
ifconfig
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Network card goes down

Postby lsabayon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 21:37

Desktop env: Gnome
Network connection: Wired
Encryption: None
Error msg: none
Network adapter: integrated on the mainbord
Router: TP:Link but working properly.

Nothing indicates it, it doesn't give any error messages. It just flat out stops, and than I have absolutely no connection.

I ran those commands, piped them to a file as well. But no real difference that I saw. What I did notice was is that it happens during the time I use the package manager. Thats when it goes down.

However its still not working.

Also, why can't I "su" as a user?
lsabayon
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware