Gnome3 + ATi

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Gnome3 + ATi

Postby Crypto_ahash » Wed Aug 10, 2011 13:09

Hi guys,

It seems when installing the ATi drivers for my card the top bar looks kinda weird on Gnome3. As far as I know this has to do with some Mesa packages. Can anyone confirm this?
Crypto_ahash
Young Hen

Re: Gnome3 + ATi

Postby joost » Wed Aug 10, 2011 13:11

fglrx is broken with Gnome3. Use the fallback mode. (remove gnome-shell)
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby Crypto_ahash » Wed Aug 10, 2011 13:21

joost wrote:fglrx is broken with Gnome3. Use the fallback mode. (remove gnome-shell)

I am sure I remember seeing some release notes/bug fixes from Mesa about this "fglrx bug" on Gnome3.
Crypto_ahash
Young Hen

Postby Crypto_ahash » Wed Aug 10, 2011 13:31

Crypto_ahash
Young Hen

Postby Crypto_ahash » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:41

sorry this was the patch to fix the ATi distortions on Gnome3: Xorg patch.

http://www.mail-archive.com/xorg-devel@ ... 19071.html
Crypto_ahash
Young Hen

Postby joost » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:14

I guess you don't know the diff between fglrx (developed by AMD) and mesa / xf86-video-ati

:D
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby Crypto_ahash » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:23

joost wrote:I guess you don't know the diff between fglrx (developed by AMD) and mesa / xf86-video-ati

:D

Really... This is an fix to Xorg, fixing ATi "fglrx" (Proprietary) distortions.
Crypto_ahash
Young Hen

Postby joost » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:05

The patch has been merged ages ago... Nothing todo with fglrx.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby DarthLukan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:10

So being without IRC (and thus the usual things that keep me occupied) I decided to try Gnome3 (again). Guess who has an almost usable Gnome3 Desktop + fglrx drivers... That's right, no fallback mode, just some keybind editing in a config file so that I could get a terminal up and logout/restart Gnome-shell when I make a change.

It doesn't like XRandR or Xinerama with my card, but at least I see two desktops and can drag windows between them. The graphics on that top bar still show up corrupt, and I have no mouse input in any Gnome-shell applications, but I can click around inside of a browser and gnome-tweak-tool.

I don't know what in the world would cause the mouse to not pass events to the toolbar (and yes, I installed all of the extensions and enabled them in gnome-tweak-tool before passing judgement), but something is fishy here.

It's almost like there's a disconnect between the graphical representation of the mouse, and the actual events being passed by the mouse. Kinda like when some apps glitch out on you and you have your mouse far to the left of a button, but the button thinks the cursor is planted right on top of it. I'll mess around with it some more. As soon as I can cleanup my config files and stuff, and get at least mouse input, I'll submit the files to Joost so that he can take a look at them and check my testing (that's what Limbo is for right? :P ). Maybe it's not so much a bad driver (it is), but some bad settings in gnome3 itself coupled with the bad driver. If I can cleanup some of the coding and add a few tweaks, that might clue in a dev in gnome-land as to providing a fix that will mesh a bit better with ATI users who can't use the radeon driver for various reasons (high-end cards don't like that driver).

Anywho,

/hijack
Sabayon Limbo | Awesome3.4 | AMD Phenom II X4 x86_64 | 8GB RAM |
1TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD6970x4

"In a world without walls, who needs Windows?"
"The program said that I needed to install Windows 2000 or better, so I installed Linux."
DarthLukan
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 22:11

Looks like AMD has a fix and it could be in the next release of the Catalyst (FGLRX) driver: Comment 65 - Unoffical AMD Linux Bugzilla - Bug 99 - Graphical corruption with gnome-shell.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers