missing Sulfur after update

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

missing Sulfur after update

Postby gosport_gaz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:09

I've got Gnome 3 running in failsafe - because my nvidia 5200 card uses the 173 driver which won't run Gnome shell - which is fine. However several programs won't start, chief amongst these is Sulfur.
trying to run it from the Applications menu brings up the authorization screen, but when I put my password in it fails to load. I've tried to load it from a terminal and I get this message : 'traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/entropy/sulfur/sulfur_client.py", line 18, in <module>
import gtk
ImportError: No module named gtk.
I assume that gtk has not updated correctly. Can anyone help me with this?

Also I can not edit the menu, the entry is there when I right click 'Applications' but it does nothing. :?:
gosport_gaz
Young Hen

Re: missing Sulfur after update

Postby popsUlfr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:15

Hmm... I've had this issues at some point in Gentoo.
Try
Code: Select all
equo install pygobject pygtk
popsUlfr
Young Hen

Postby gosport_gaz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 16:29

Thanks this solved the Sulfur problem.
Now all I need is to figure out why Nautilus take 45 seconds to load.
gosport_gaz
Young Hen

Postby joost » Tue Aug 09, 2011 17:59

I'd try this as root from a shell:

Code: Select all
equo update --force
equo upgrade
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby gosport_gaz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 18:21

Hi Joost
I've done that . I've also tried Thunar, but that takes ove 20 secs as well. Also I can't get Evolution ar Brasero to load - both come back with 'segmentaion error' if I try to load them in a terminal.
I don't have a clue what is going on, I may have to leave it for a week as I'm going away, then try an update and see if its bug. However, I'm inclined to think that its my kit - pentium 4, 1 meg of ram and Nvida 5200 vidio card- that's the problem.
gosport_gaz
Young Hen

Postby popsUlfr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 18:38

gosport_gaz wrote:Hi Joost
I've done that . I've also tried Thunar, but that takes ove 20 secs as well. Also I can't get Evolution ar Brasero to load - both come back with 'segmentaion error' if I try to load them in a terminal.
I don't have a clue what is going on, I may have to leave it for a week as I'm going away, then try an update and see if its bug. However, I'm inclined to think that its my kit - pentium 4, 1 meg of ram and Nvida 5200 vidio card- that's the problem.

I have a comp with the same specs (except for a 6600GT) with Sabayon Xfce installed and after upgrading some gnome-packages to match the gnome-3 environment everything took a long time to load. I ended up rolling back the gnome stuff and emerging the 2.0 versions :P
I got several errors concerning dbus but I didn't try to investigate further since I assumed it was just some gnome3/gtk3+xfce shenanigans.
popsUlfr
Young Hen

Postby gosport_gaz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:27

I've downloaded LXDE and Xfce, They seem OK except that I get a message:
"Could not look up internet address for host-computer-name.
This will prevent Xfce from operating correctly.
It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
host-computer-name to the file /etc/hosts on your system.
When I log into xfce. I've looked at /etc and there was no /host file, just /host.example so I copied this to /etc/host but I'm not sure where to add my computer name. Other than that both desktops work well.
gosport_gaz
Young Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers