Constant forced kernel downgrades to 2.6.36? [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Constant forced kernel downgrades to 2.6.36? [Solved]

Postby BoeroBoy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 13:16

Lately it's very frustrating to use entropy as almost any simple update I install decides to "update" my happily running 2.6.39 kernel with 2.6.36. I tried searching this out but didn't find any posts. Am I the only one having this problem? Just now I wanted to update VLC. My list of dependencies is a mile long and if I don't manually correct my grub, nvidia kernel modules will not load. I do custom order my grub.conf entries. Could that be affecting some dependency routine?

Thanks, and sorry if this has already been covered.
Last edited by BoeroBoy on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:10, edited 1 time in total.
BoeroBoy
Simple Hen

Re: Constant forced kernel downgrades to 2.6.36?

Postby genfool » Fri Jul 15, 2011 16:38

This is interesting, makes me want to ask questions.
"update" my happily running 2.6.39 kernel with 2.6.36.

I have seen older kernels pulled in with a update, I can not say exactly why, for some reason is seen as a dependency of something. It will not switch you to the kernel, but will have the linux-sabayon installed, you can always remove it later.

Code: Select all
I wanted to update VLC. My list of dependencies is a mile long

Again, dependency's. hmm, vlc does have a few but not really a mile long, would make me consider running a
equo deptest && equo libtest

if I don't manually correct my grub, nvidia kernel modules will not load

hmmm, nvidia-userspace has been around for awhile, userspace allows you to have more then one nvidia driver installed for different kernels, you can now have them installed for each kernel in grub menu and the drivers will load for that kernel, assuming they are installed.
When was the last time you updated?, I mean open a root terminal and do a full update.
Have not seen it for quite sometime, but have seen in the past where the gui sulfur shows all is updated, really is not.
I would be spending some time with general maintenance and cleanup of your system.
Have you ever used emerge on it?
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby albfneto » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:21

if i undestand, your list of updates, contains now.. "downgrades" instead of "upgrades", generating a long list of "necessary" old dependencies , is this?

if this... You used Portage together, jointly with Entropy? You need to:

1) edit the /etc/entropy/client.conf, changing in the line "ignore pseudowngrades", changing "disable" to "enable". Save this file, then:

2)
# equo update
# equo remove entropy equo sulfur --relaxed
# emerge --sync
# layman -a sabayon
# layman -S
# emerge -p entropy equo sulfur
# emerge -av entropy equo sulfur
# equo update --force
# equo libtest && equo deptest
# equo cleanup
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 20:36

Have you tried putting 2.6.36 into the search function of sulfur for installed applications? It will probably show you what it is that keeps the 2.6.36 kernel upgrading as well as your 2.6.39.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby BoeroBoy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:04

if this... You used Portage together, jointly with Entropy?

Errrm yep. I'm old-school Gentoo. Applied your changes and will try it for a while. Some packages work fine from portage but haven't made it to entropy. Call me an impatient whiner. :D

As for the nvidia-userspace, I've had it installed for a while but I guess I don't know how to use it. Plus most of my entropy updates incorrectly update my grub.conf with an invalid root. I must have too many drives in here - or time for Grub 2.

The funny thing is entropy KEEPS trying to install kernel 2.6.36. It's there already. It's not the default kernel in eselect.... oh wait I just checked and eselect kernel list shows 2.6.36 as my default... DUUHHHHH. OK I'll update that now. I guess I missed that.

Thanks all!!!
BoeroBoy
Simple Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers