Internet doesn't reconnect

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Internet doesn't reconnect

Postby Ignatius881 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:30

Hello.

I've a problem with my connection. Sometimes it goes down, but when it goes down, it's impossible to reconnect it, neither automatically nor manually. I don't understand why. The only way to do that is rebooting.

I'd this problem on Gentoo too.
Last edited by Ignatius881 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 13:43, edited 4 times in total.
Ignatius881
Baby Hen

Re: Internet doesn't reconnect

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:01

You need to provide more details in order for people to be able to try to help. Otherwise people can only guess, which wastes everybody's time and effort. See Howto Gather Log Files Easily - Help Us to Help You.

SL 5.5? KDE, GNOME, Xfce, E17 or LXDE? x86 or amd64? Upgraded to current via Entropy? Plasma Network Management applet, nm-applet or Wicd? Ethernet or WiFi? Dial up or ADSL? Machine hardware (lspci and lsusb output)? Errors in dmesg output? Errors in logs (/var/log/messages)? What router or modem are you using?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Matte88 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:29

Ignatius881 wrote:Hello.

I've a problem with my connection. Sometimes it goes down, but when it goes down, it's impossible to reconnect it, neither automatically nor manually. I don't understand why. The only way to do that is rebooting.

I'd this problem on Gentoo too.
Are you using KDE version of Sabayon with KWallet enabled? If so, try disabling KWallet and set in KNetworkManager settings (right -click on KnetworkManager applet in the systray - near the clock -) "in file (unencrypted)" the policy of storing wireless pwd.
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Postby Ignatius881 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:55

I'm using LXDE version. There is an application of Gnome to manage passwords, and I wrote a password when it started the first time.

But this happened with the LiveDVD too.
Ignatius881
Baby Hen

Postby Ignatius881 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:36

I think that I've solved the problem. I've installed wicd and dhcpcd, and configured wicd to look for a new IP with dhcpcd.

EDIT: Ok, I don't understand anything. After my connection goes down, wicd says that my passkey is wrong. Why? It's not wrong.
Ignatius881
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 13:51

Bug in Wicd? I've never been able to get it to work (see, e.g., SL 5.4 E17 Spin x86: WiFi (Wicd) problem [Solved]).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Ignatius881 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:20

So, have I to install Exalt and to uninstall Wicd?

I've installed connman, and then I've added Limbo repository, as it's shown here: http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy#Setting_it_up

But I can't install Exalt.
Ignatius881
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:41

Misunderstanding: I linked to a thread showing that Wicd is buggy; I was not suggesting you install ConnMan. Anyway, Exalt does not exist any more, and is not the front-end for ConnMan in E17 (the DE discussed in the thread I referenced). Your best bet is presumably what you had originally, i.e. NetworkManager and nm-applet. Please see the thread Howto Gather Log Files Easily - Help Us to Help You, post your logs so someone will be able to see in detail what your hardware and environment are.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby tonyawards » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:00

Matte88 -
Are you using KDE version of Sabayon with KWallet enabled? If so, try disabling KWallet and set in KNetworkManager settings (right -click on KnetworkManager applet in the systray - near the clock -) "in file (unencrypted)" the policy of storing wireless pwd.

I have had this problem intermittently ever sine I did a fresh install of SL6 (to fix some other things). When I set things up this time I enabled KWallet, which I had never done before. And have had wired eth0 connection issues ever since.

I just disabled KWallet and now connections are back to normal.

Thanks for the tip. Now, how can I get KWallet and my eth0 wired connection in network manager to play well together?
SL Version: XI+, just rollin' along / Kernel 3.8.3 | KDE 4.10.1 | HP dv6000z | AMD Turion64 MK-36 | 2GB RAM | nVidia GeForce 6150
tonyawards
Growing Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless