Tethering Blackberry?

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Tethering Blackberry?

Postby wahmd » Mon Oct 26, 2009 13:52

Greetings:

Recently installed Sabayon 5 on Dell Inspiron 1200. Very impressive!

Wireless via Netgear WPN511 (Atheros) works out of the box. Thanks!

Need to tether Blackberry 8330 via USB to use as modem.

This has been accomplshed in other distros. (Sidux, Puppy)

Blackberry IS NOT recognized as external USB device. That is first step.

After that, PPP should allow me to access modem. I already know values to enter (#777, login ID, password) for my cell provider.

How to get Saboyon 5 to recognize Blackberry as external USB device?

Thank you for any suggestions.

wahmd
wahmd
Baby Hen

Re: Tethering Blackberry?

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 14:01

Don't own one myself, so can't be of much help. As you probably know, Sabayon Linux is a customised version of Gentoo Linux, and there is a Gentoo Wiki article on tethering the Blackberry via Bluetooth and USB (see Section 5.1 in the article, for USB tethering). Looks like it might be complicated.

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/BlackBer ... r_phone.29
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 14:12

Just had a look to see if cdc_acm module is configured in 2.6.31-sabayon kernel and cannot see it. Also an lsmod | grep cdc_acm does not show it loaded by default, but a modprobe cdc_acm does load the module:

Code: Select all
acertm8215 / # lsmod | grep cdc_acm
acertm8215 / # modprobe cdc_acm
acertm8215 / # lsmod | grep cdc_acm
cdc_acm                14800  0
acertm8215 / #

Try loading the module as shown above and see what you get. But looks to me like a rebuild of the kernel might be needed. If you do succeed with just modprobing the module then let us know and we'll tell you how to edit a config file to get it be loaded automatically when you boot.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby rogerc » Mon Oct 26, 2009 16:12

hi wahmd,

you can take a look at Barry: http://www.netdirect.ca/software/packages/barry

The version in Entropy is quite old (0.11), but the v. 0.16 is in Portage. Dunno if you'll get it working...

Just an advice: take a look at the dependencies, because it seems that if you want to sync the device, you need a version of libopensync>0.22 or to compile the latest source code, that you can get it in http://repo.or.cz/w/barry.git

Good luck :wink:
rogerc
Baby Hen

Postby wahmd » Mon Oct 26, 2009 16:47

Greetings:

The prompt repies are much appreciated.

As root...
modprobe cdc_acm
lsmod | grep cdc_acm

returns...

cdc_acm 12116 0

At this point, a "USB Drive" icon will appear under Places>Computer.

When I attempt to mount this drive, I get the error "Cannot mount the device. No data in the drive." Under the permissions tab, it says "Cannot find permissions for this device". There is data in the drive, of course.

Hadn't thought of the Gentoo Wiki. Will look at that article now.

Thank you.

wahmd
wahmd
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 18:23

Well, now you could try installing Barry as the Gentoo Wiki article and rogerc suggest. As root user in a Konsole/Terminal window enter the commands:

emerge --sync
layman -S
emerge -1v barry

But I have a sneaking suspicion that the error messages you mentioned are something to do with HAL, D-Bus or udev, but I know so little about these that I could be way off the mark. Anyway, give Barry a try if you've still got the cdc_acm module loaded.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby wahmd » Mon Oct 26, 2009 20:52

Good afternoon:

Barry 0.16 downloaded and installed. In the midst of a long list of updates at the moment. (This is the first time I updated.)

Command for "barry" is btool which shows the device is recognized and connected. Module cdc_acm is still in place. At this point, the device no longer shows up under Places>Computer, as it had earlier. Gnome PPP does not detect modem on any device setting (analog or USB). If I understand this correctly, it needs to look for "/dev/ttyACMO". Which .conf file do I edit to make that happen?

After installing "barry" endnotes said users have to be in group "plugdev". Did not see that under groups, so I created it but perhaps it already exists under a different name? I am not really wanting to synch the device or use it as a drive, just access the modem. The rest would be icing.

Oh, and how do I make this module load at boot?

Thanks for your most helpful directions.

wahmd
wahmd
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:46

To load modules automatically at boot, add them to the end of the file /etc/conf.d/modules:

modules="<module1> <module2> <module3> etc."

(If you've already got a line modules="<module1> etc." then just add the extra module to the end of the existing list on that line.)

Then try rebooting to see if the module is loaded automatically, which you can check with:

lsmod | grep cdc_acm

If that alone does not do it then, also as root, see what modules are in the module database:

module-rebuild list

and try:

module-rebuild populate

If there are any modules declared in that list that are wrong (several instances of the same driver but older versions, or modules that are definitely not applicable to your PC, for example), then you can remove them using:

module-rebuild del <module name>-<version>

and if any are missing then the above-mentioned populate command should put it in there, but you can do it individually with:

module-rebuild add <module name>-<version>

================================

I'm surprised you were not in the pludev group, as that's a default of Sabayon Linux:

$ groups
disk wheel floppy cron audio cdrom dialout video games cdrw usb users haldaemon plugdev scanner entropy pulse-access pulse-rt pulse crontab vboxusers polkituser

================================

Regarding /dev/ttyACMO, I'm going hang fire and wait for someone else with more experience of ppp to advise you. If no one bites then I'll have a crack but I'll be 'flying blind'. :)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby perlsyntax » Mon May 02, 2011 14:03

Sorry But will this work with blackberry 9800 is that support by linux?
perlsyntax
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon May 02, 2011 23:00

No idea, I'm afraid. I'm not a Blackberry user. You'll have to try it to see. The latest version of Barry is 0.17.1. Read through all the above posts and also consult the referenced article in the Gentoo Wiki.

# eix barry
* app-pda/barry
     Available versions:  (~)0.16 (~)0.17.1 {bash-completion boost doc gui nls opensync static-libs}
     Homepage:            http://www.netdirect.ca/software/packages/barry/
     Description:         Sync, backup, program management, and charging for BlackBerry devices
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Networking and Wireless