Problems with Power Management (ACPI) [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Problems with Power Management (ACPI) [Solved]

Postby udiljak » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:59

Hi.

When shutting down my computer (no matter if normal shutdown or hibernation) the USB mouse is still illuminated. So I have to manually turn of the main power switch or cut off electricity.

Even a bigger problem occurs after turning the PC back on: Sometimes one of the HDDs is not found and on reboot the bios, changed the order of boot devices! Then the system doesn't boot any more until I manually change back the order in BIOS setup.

I tried to turn off ACPI-support in the kernel (acpi=off), but then the kernel freezes on initialization.

Any other suggestions? Is it maybe worth trying a bios update?

Mainboard: ASUS A8N-E

Thanks in advance!
Ben
Last edited by udiljak on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
udiljak
Young Hen

Re: Problems with Power Management (ACPI)

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 17:42

It's probably not a software issue: Google tells me this is a common feature with ASUS motherboards. Apparently there is a jumper on the motherboard that you can change in order to enable/disable power to the USB ports when the PC is switched off:

Rob wrote:I don't have that board, but my other Asus boards have jumpers which allow you to use either +5VSB or +5V to power each pair of USB ports.
In your case, it sounds like these jumpers (if they exist) are set to +5VSB (ie the StandBy +5V that the PSU supplies to the mobo as long as it's connected to the mains.) Changing them to +5V will mean power is sent to the USB ports only when the system is booted-up.

The only use I've ever seen for powering USB ports from +5VSB is so that systems can be powered-up by a USB keyboard.

Bryan Socha wrote:The a8n-e has jumpers on the motherboard to keep power to the usb in standby. refer to the manual (you can dl it if you need it again) and with the machine OFF and the power plug removed, change the jumpers. There one near every set of usb ports so you can even leave some disconnected if you want.

See, e.g. http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums ... 26733.html (and many other sites). I suggest you have a look through the manual for your motherboard.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby udiljak » Fri Jun 03, 2011 14:51

Thank you very much for your reply.

Unfortunately my mainboard doesn't have any jumpers or BIOS options to disable the USB ports when powering down.

After reading this

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/42149

and this

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/microsoft-mouse-stays-lit-computer-off-a8n-sli-premium-t2034893p2.html

I am pretty sure that there is no sulution for my problem at the moment. Probably it will not be solved ever.

So I have to use the switch on the power supply or just unplug the PC if I don't want any anoying red light at night.

Thanks anyway!
Ben
udiljak
Young Hen

Postby udiljak » Mon Aug 15, 2011 23:25

Hi everybody.

The problem was solved with the new Kernel in Sabayon 6. Hurray!

Greetings!
Ben
udiljak
Young Hen

Postby micia » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:54

Excellent :mrgreen:

Remember to mark your thread as solved when you find a solution to your issue:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=17059
micia
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware