Resolution problem with possible kernel connection [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Resolution problem with possible kernel connection

Postby ReemZ » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:19

Fitzcarraldo wrote:It's doubtful that would work for dunsurfin, ReemZ, because his machine does not even detect the mode 1440x900

:(
Sorry surf, was the only thing I could think of :(
Bloody puters, doin' me head in at times...
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:03

Thanks for the suggestion ReemZ. I had actually tried it as I've been following your thread as well as mine. As Fitzcarraldo said, my machine won't recognize 1440x900 with any kernel beyond 2.6.35 (it appears to do so until xdm starts then it contracts).
I've been away on my monthly maternal visit so managed to forget about it all for a bit. :) Because my laptop is not my main machine and works perfectly with 2.6.35 I'm not in a desperate hurry. I need to report a bug - as Fitzcarraldo has pointed out.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 13:54

I decided to try some other distros with a recent kernel to see how they booted. OpenSUSE failed at the first hurdle (complete lockup), Toorox 03.2011 RC failed to load properly and I don't speak German, and Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 1 worked properly giving me a screen resolution of 1440x900 without any tinkering on my part. I note that Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 1 uses a 2.6.38-r3 kernel so I believe that the kernel could well be the problem.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 13:56

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Re: Resolution problem with possible kernel connection [Solv

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 15:41

:lol:

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Previous

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers