Do you have any Entropy Store/Sulfur UI Redesign Suggestions

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Do you have any Entropy Store/Sulfur UI Redesign Suggestions

Postby Thev00d00 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 23:39

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some feedback in what you like, don't like and would change within the Entropy Store UI, just looking for general feedback for the entropy UIs also, what is missing, what is there to much of etc.

Say something good and will look into integrating your idea.

So, fire away, and thanks as always for your feedback!

PS. Bonus points for diagrams, even if they look like they were created in MS Paint :mrgreen:
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Re: Do you have any Entropy Store/Sulfur UI Redesign Suggest

Postby alonsoty » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:11

Regarding the graphics, I like it already a lot now!

But I would like that the interface could remember my preferences, in order to start as I had left...
For example, I prefer the display sorting of packages: "grouped by date" and it would be nice if it could be stored in a configuration or initialization file.

actually I can see already a "sulfur.conf" with the colors ...
then maybe there already!? :mrgreen:

Bye
alonsoty
Advanced Hen

Postby packetknife » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:33

I like the current UI in Advanced mode. A few minor nits:

- The Install tab should have a different name. Maybe Queued?

- Same with the System Files tab. Maybe "Merge Updated System Files" or something more descriptive.

- I would prefer the default listing of Available packages be collapsed into the categories instead of fully expanded by default.

But I really like the UI right now. -Ali
packetknife
Baby Hen

Postby Skull Fire » Tue Mar 22, 2011 14:33

+1 for default advanced mode

i love being able to see all the packages available, i dont want to lose that. but it can be a little mind boggling for new users who dont know exactly what they are looking for. 1 option may be to close all the catagories by default and allow users to more easily scroll down the list of catagories and open the catagories that they want to see in that specific list.

another option maybe be have a more simple 1st page to available packages, with maybe 8 to 10 icons that group related catagories. example: a multimedia icon, once opened we would see all the available catagories like media-libs, media- video, media-audio and so on. . .

something i think can be quite useful would be to show all optional available packages to applications. example, a user may want to try audacity for the first time. it can be loaded and used, but the user probably doesn't know there are like a billion add ons, plugins, and libraries that make it work really awsome. and all those extras are not dependencies, so unless user is already intimate with the program, they dont know to look for more. and to make it worse, all those extras are currenty strung out across 3 or 4 catagories. and in this example the audacity website only lists a handful of the extras. it seems a common problem with many programs.
multi-booting Sabayon 5.5 kde 64 bit and others
intel e6600 @ 3.0 ghz core duo
6gb ddr2 800
biostar tpower i45 motherboard
nvidia 9800 gt
3) 7200 sata's non-raid
Skull Fire
Growing Hen

Postby albfneto » Wed Mar 23, 2011 20:41

my suggestions> include in sulfur an automatic mask/unmask feature or tool.
(the user not need to mask or unmask packages via equo commands)
or you consider that this is dangerous for neophites in Sabayon?
i know a feature in sulfur for unmasking, but not for mask
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:58

Several users and reviewers in blogs have stated that the selection of a package for upgrade in the list displayed by Sulfur is not intuitive (You know: the left-click, right-click, left-click thing). How about a tooltip? When the cursor is over the package in the list, a tooltip displays, e.g. "Left-click to select package, then right-click to display options. Then left-click to select desired option." Or something along that line.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby sabayonino » Fri Mar 25, 2011 19:03

albfneto wrote:my suggestions> include in sulfur an automatic mask/unmask feature or tool.
(the user not need to mask or unmask packages via equo commands)
or you consider that this is dangerous for neophites in Sabayon?
i know a feature in sulfur for unmasking, but not for mask

same suggestion for me... :wink:

however ..with weekly-repository I can install old package but I mask new package manually

suggestion : if i install an old package using weekly-repository , the new package in sabayonlinux.org repository will be masked automatically...

:mrgreen:
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby timothyRlamora » Fri Mar 25, 2011 19:15

I really like the way the entropy store works and it would be nice to have a way to install updates automatically if you are away from your computer for several days as I was and had many updates to install and when you don't want to use automatic update uncheck the box :o
timothyRlamora
Growing Hen

Postby sqlpython » Fri Mar 25, 2011 20:46

Masking
Doesn't appear that one can use the GUI to Mask a package. As in [url]/etc/entropy/packages/ Use package.mask to mask a file[/url]. As there is a masked Tab already as a foundation perhaps an implementation on that Tab to allow Masking of packages from the interface.

Edit: If I have missed this method and there is a way to do so from the Interface then...apologies. I did post the question once but did not get a reply.
Criticism accepted for Solutions that work. ;^)
Sabayon 13-DEBIAN 8- #! -Sid-Slackware 14-Calculate 13-Bridge
sqlpython
Technological Hen

Postby micia » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:37

I like the default beginner mode, as opposed to some post above, but I don't use sulfur very much so... It does not make a big difference for me :mrgreen:

My suggestions:
* A GUI for kernel-switcher :P a tool too great for not having a GUI.

Since I guess that automatically triggering kernel-switcher when a kernel is upgraded would break the analogy with equo, probably there should be a new tab with "kernel switch" that implements that GUI.

When you try to manually upgrade the kernel package a warning pops up: "You are manually upgrading a kernel
package, do you want to proceed?"

* A way to control the package cleanup policy, with equo it is simple:
Code: Select all
equo cleanup
equo cache clean

it would be nice to be able to do something like that in sulfur too, probably there already is a way, but I didn't find it out :P

Something like a preference "if cache is bigger than X MB trigger equo cleanup/equo cache clean" 0MB = always perform cleanup.
micia
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers