SL5.5, KDE4.6 and networking experience

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

SL5.5, KDE4.6 and networking experience

Postby Richlion » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:17

Hello,

I just went through installing SL5.5 and it works great. However as for the networking, my experience is as follows:

1) on my PC connected via the Ethernet cable I can experience network being disconnected. It's not like everything goes off-line, just one application at a time, so all of a sudden I can no longer browse, but Skype is connected, Amule still pulling files, etc. When I close all programs, nothing gets connected. I reboot the PC and everying is back on-line. Nothing wrong with the router.
This looks like the same problems we had with previous versions of SL and KDE, am I the only person having these problems?
I doesn't happen every day, so in general everything seems ok.

I would say that I have a work laptop on Windows XP many times connected via wi-fi that doesn't cause any problems.

2) Installing SL5.5 on a laptop - I installed it without problems, however I could not get my wi-fi connected. I could press the wi-fi button on, it would blink and stay lit for 20 seconds, then it would die. I would be able to scan my network, I would configure it, but no connection, the network manager would keep saying "waiting for authentication". I went through the whole process of installing SL5.4, SL5.3, the last one was the version I had wi-fi working on. Wi-fi would not connect.
I thought my wi-fi was dead on my laptop :x
And I finally I decided to reinstall SL5.5 - however, I had my wi-fi button switched on during the SL installation. And to my surprise I can now connect and wi-fi works. The only additional catch is, after setting the WI-FI connection, password, etc. I have to reboot the laptop and then I can finally enjoy the automatic connections without any problems. It looks like having the wi-fi button pressed down during SL installations is the initial cause of problems with getting wi-fi to work.
Is that possible? Can this be fixed?

Thanks,
Richard
*** Sabyon user since 2006 ***
Sabayon Linux amd64 13.03 - x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
KDE 4.10.1 - on Acer Aspire 7730 zg 17" with Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS
Richlion
Technological Hen

Re: SL5.5, KDE4.6 and networking experience

Postby Matte88 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 0:47

Richlion wrote:I would configure it, but no connection, the network manager would keep saying "waiting for authentication". I went through the whole process of installing SL5.4, SL5.3, the last one was the version I had wi-fi working on. Wi-fi would not connect.I thought my wi-fi was dead on my laptop And I finally I decided to reinstall SL5.5 - however, I had my wi-fi button switched on during the SL installation. And to my surprise I can now connect and wi-fi works. The only additional catch is, after setting the WI-FI connection, password, etc. I have to reboot the laptop and then I can finally enjoy the automatic connections without any problems.
I think it is a kind of latent bug... I'm experiencing theese "troubles" since KDE 4 was implemented on SL - with KNetworkManager (never used WICD with KDE >=4) and KWallet... :roll: :?
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Return to Networking and Wireless