Wireless setup

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Wireless setup

Postby JTAL604622 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 17:14

I currently run Ubuntu 6.06 and my wireless card for my laptop (acer aspire 3000) doesnt work but my wireless 54g pc card does when I slide it in. I have been unable to get it to work in Sabayon.

Any thoughts? Its the Comp-USA 30 dollar one 802.11g, it works thought will all ubuntu, mepis and E-live. Is it a gentoo thing? I tried to use Gnome and setit up as I did in mepis through the gui but the network manager would make the light light up but then it would turn off in a second or two....Love the distro though. If only my wirless card would would id throw Ubuntu to the curb.

Thanks,

Jonathon
JTAL604622
Simple Hen

What kind of card?

Postby mdmarmer » Sat Nov 18, 2006 18:33

What kind of card do you have? Chipset and version?

lspci -vv
lsusb

may help to determine

As for the internal card, many of these cards are Broadcom, to use ndiswrapper with Broadcom you need to blacklist the bcm43xx native driver

Probably SL uses /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist -- I know the other distros do -- add to this file as root
blacklist bcm43xx

If you want to use the native driver you need to install bcm43xx-fwcutter and run this against your Windows firmware

You can do a search in Gentoo or Ubuntu forums on your particular Wireless card once you identify

Mike
mdmarmer
Advanced Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion