Ubuntu and XGL/AIGLX support - who is innovating then?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Postby wesireal » Thu Nov 16, 2006 21:39

wolfden wrote:If you want to really run linux you need to know the command line.

The great thing about gentoo is that it makes you learn your computer inside and out. I hated the command line when I first started with computers and now it's like where is terminal or konsole. Some just want everything to work without knowing why and some want to know everything possible.

Do I have to learn and memmorise all these commands and meanings to work on Sabayon?
Simple Hen

Postby cvill64 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 21:48

no you do not, its just that some tools are better and easier through the CLI

and once you start using the ones that are, you get very family and used to them
Sagely Hen

Postby sunnyrabbiera » Thu Nov 16, 2006 22:03

CLI can still be intimidating though, but there are some terminal apps that are brain dead easy :D
Baby Hen

Postby lxnay » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:42

cvill64 wrote:oh god lxnay....why did you start this thread? :P :P :P

well i for one welcome the new SL overloard :twisted:

:roll: then again I have a bias....

Use what you want to use is my take on it, but I like SL/gentoo the best

they are only technical comparations :P
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
Land Owner

Postby sunnyrabbiera » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:16

Well whatver work has been done on Saby has been very good...
I am waiting till fiesty though before I count Ubuntu out and go saby fulltime, though maybe by then i might have another distro entirely...
thats the linux world for you :D
Baby Hen

Postby analyticalman » Sat Nov 18, 2006 19:36

Just a quick comparison from somebody who runs a few different systems concurrently:
Edgy does not really compete on the eyecandy front - I still haven't got 3d working correctly
FC6 and Mandrake 2007 are polished distros offering a limited set of 3d effects pretty much "out of the box"
Sabayon offers all the wierdness of Beryl straight from the install and gets extra kudos by offering a default non-blue KDE theme (which there is probably a law against somewhere :P )
So Sabayon makes working on my computer fun - and that means a lot! Now if portage didn't take so flipping long to install anything -it would be just about perfect!
Baby Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion