netatalk / avahi in Entropy?

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

netatalk / avahi in Entropy?

Postby shoelesshunter78 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:45

I use a couple of macs and apple phones in my home network. the easiest way for my to move simple files and to graphically broadcast my Linux services to others here has always been through the netatalk protocol with avahi-deamon.

will these packages ever be available in Entropy?

though I had used Gentoo for a while, I'm still rather new to Linux and like to play with my system, a little too much at times. I came back to Sabayon when I needed a fresh install and didn't have two days to compile a GUI desktop from portage.

I has occurred to add the Gentoo Portage overlay, but I'd really like to use a stable system (Entropy Only) while I learn so that when things break, I know where and why.

any info regarding netatalk and avahi coming to Entropy or a suitable workaround is appreciated.

also, since I do have medium-level knowledge of portage, flags, masks, etc . . . is it really too risky to just add the overlay?
shoelesshunter78
Baby Hen

Re: netatalk / avahi in Entropy?

Postby shoelesshunter78 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 14:10

amendment:

of course avahi and avahi-daemon are installed already. in previous distros, I would fetch avahi with netatalk and so grouped them in the post.

netatalk (AFP) is the service I am interested in.
shoelesshunter78
Baby Hen

Re: netatalk / avahi in Entropy?

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 16:28

net-fs/netatalk-2.1.3 is currently in the Entropy repository so you can install it using Equo or Sulfur. If you want to install the latest version in Portage (2.1.5) then you can use Portage. As root user in a Konsole/Terminal window:

Code: Select all
emerge --sync
layman -a sabayon
layman -S
emerge -1v netatalk
equo rescue spmsync

The last command is to tell Entropy what you did via Portage.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless