Dual Band Wireless Network

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Dual Band Wireless Network

Postby Storm Rider » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:01

Hello,
I have a simultaneous dual band router and a dual band wireless card (2.4 ghz and 5.0 ghz). I usually try and stick to the 5.0 ghz band and have the rest of my family set up on the 2.4 ghz band. For some reason most distro's, Sabayon included, will not show me the 5.0 ghz network. The SSID isn't hidden. Any ideas?
Last edited by Storm Rider on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39, edited 1 time in total.
Storm Rider
Simple Hen

Re: Dual Band Wireless Network

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 16:24

I'm going to move this to the Networking and Wireless shed (forum).

You can change the frequency (channel) by specifying the channel in the file /etc/conf.d/net (see Chapter 4 in the Gentoo Handbook: 4. Wireless Networking).

Try adding the following line to that file:

Code: Select all
channel_eth0="36"

Change "eth0" to "wlan0" or whatever your wireless network device is named. Also change the "36" to the appropriate channel for the 5 GHz frequency band. According to this article, 5 GHz is only for 802.11a/h/j/n (not 802.11b/g) and the channel numbers for 5 GHz for the different countries are listed in a table in that article.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby DeadlyWolf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:13

I have my home network set up so that the computers accessing the internet do so only on 5 GHz N and Sabayon does this out of the box for me even on the live DVD prior to installing. The dual band access point I use is set to only 5 GHz N and it broadcasts the SSID. Other distros work for me also and I have 3 computers with different wireless cards using the connection. The problem maybe in your network.
Linux User #521458.
DeadlyWolf
Young Hen

Postby Storm Rider » Sat Feb 12, 2011 16:55

DeadlyWolf wrote:I have my home network set up so that the computers accessing the internet do so only on 5 GHz N and Sabayon does this out of the box for me even on the live DVD prior to installing. The dual band access point I use is set to only 5 GHz N and it broadcasts the SSID. Other distros work for me also and I have 3 computers with different wireless cards using the connection. The problem maybe in your network.

I have to run the 2.4 and 5 ghz access points. Not all computers in my house have 5 ghz network cards. I don't think there is anything wrong with my network set up because some distros see the 2.4 and 5 ghz access points and some only see the 2.4.
Storm Rider
Simple Hen

Postby SpecialEd » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:16

What I did was hide the 2.4 essid, making only the 5 essid visible. Connected to it making it my default. Then I unhid the 2.4. Now my laptop connects to the 5, everything else connects to the 2.4. I don't know that I even needed to unhide the 2.4 but our cell phones seems to have a hard time auto connecting to the 2.4 when it's hidden.

Ed
SpecialEd
Baby Hen

Postby DeadlyWolf » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:02

Storm Rider wrote
I have to run the 2.4 and 5 ghz access points. Not all computers in my house have 5 ghz network cards. I don't think there is anything wrong with my network set up because some distros see the 2.4 and 5 ghz access points and some only see the 2.4.

I think that if your network is OK and I know that a normal installation of Sabayon works, the only other thing to consider is your wireless card. I have used many other distros and they all work for me. I just select the network and install the WPA key.
Linux User #521458.
DeadlyWolf
Young Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless