Ubuntu and XGL/AIGLX support - who is innovating then?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Ubuntu and XGL/AIGLX support - who is innovating then?

Postby lxnay » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:58

We or they?

Frankly, we had a fully working XGL support in March 2006, they plan to release Edgy+1 in March 2007 with full 3D Desktop support.

So, who is really innovating?

Just an example... in a lot of things, we're already there since a lot of time. Another example maybe NoMachine NX support, or XsistenCe. But even their installable LiveCD. They have a lot of $$$ and they're only able to produce a low-quality installable LiveCD... Bah... I am saying that after having tried Edgy LiveCD.

And what about of the wallpapers' quality of the latest distros? I don't want to be egocentric but when SL, and before RR4/RR64 started to use cute, clean and sharp wallpapers, the average quality of these ones in other distros has been incremented a lot.

I think that another innovative distro is PC-BSD, they did a very impressive work.

So, I'm just a little bit disappointed by the reviewers out there, apart from Rob Williams from techgage.

They complain with us for the missing "vi" editor when in ubuntu livecds I am not even able to mount a NFS filesystem because portmap is not available. And that's just only an example.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby sunnyrabbiera » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:17

Edgy is far from perfect I agree, Dapper is much better in my opinion.
I am going to be a loyal ubuntuer till dappers lifecycle is up as Dapper has worked wonders for me.
I am dissipointed in edgy, then again I wasnt impressed by Dapper initially as before that I hated ubuntu (warty and breezy, YUCK!)
But I will wait the wave out a bit and see how things go for the ubuntu community 3 years down the road, maybe fiesty will be better then edgy maybe it wont...
So far Dapper is the only ubuntu varient I really like so far, the previous versions sucked for me.
But you can bet I will be on saby fulltime if I dont feel the newer buntus will do it for me.
sunnyrabbiera
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:23

I hope you have your flame retardant suit on. Get the water just in case.

I have never been a fan of ubuntu and from what I hear as to why people like it is because of their hardware detection. Apparently people that are new to linux find it easy to setup their hardware.

Sabayon Linux is great and it's only going to continue to get better and better. It's open the door for a lot of people looking at getting into Gentoo and the 3D Desktop. People are excited to see 3.2 and the word is spreading fast!
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby sunnyrabbiera » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:36

Well Ubuntu is definately good for the beginner, the only thing that will hurt saby is yes it is gentoo based and the new blood will be scared off by the command line.
But hey if your system works for you then stick with it, I have no complaints about ubuntu or saby, both work great for me and that is all that matters.
I only choose dapper because yes it is easy, very little need of command line (command line is very hostile for beginners) and it just works for me.
But then I could easily go with saby full time, I am a lot better at the command lines now and I think I can stick with it... though my husband thats another story, hes clueless about computers :D
sunnyrabbiera
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:49

If you want to really run linux you need to know the command line.
http://www.ss64.com/bash/
http://www.pixelbeat.org/cmdline.html

The great thing about gentoo is that it makes you learn your computer inside and out. I hated the command line when I first started with computers and now it's like where is terminal or konsole. Some just want everything to work without knowing why and some want to know everything possible.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby ajez » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:55

I think that if a user installs ubuntu only because its easy, well return to Windows :|

if a user doesn't want to learn something new as emerge or xorg configuration or anything else, well stay to windows! once installed it's easy to use..

about the "vi" editor .. they are crazy .. there's nano that is a lot better and easier!
i don't think that a newbie user in ubuntu uses "vi" !

lxnay, leave them to write those bad reviews, when sabayon will become the top distro, they will change their opinions .. users makes the difference .. we have to go straight ahead in our way, doing our best.. users review & opinions would do all the work :D

about XGL, tell them to try sabayon to see the huge work that you/we are doing, having a 3d desktop working good now!

maybe they will sponsor us to have some kind of collaboration :P

or leave them work for years, so we'll be at the top when they'll release their bad Edgy :D
ajez
The Blamed One

Postby sunnyrabbiera » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:23

wolfden wrote:If you want to really run linux you need to know the command line.
http://www.ss64.com/bash/
http://www.pixelbeat.org/cmdline.html

The great thing about gentoo is that it makes you learn your computer inside and out. I hated the command line when I first started with computers and now it's like where is terminal or konsole. Some just want everything to work without knowing why and some want to know everything possible.

Well I get the command line pretty well, but my husband is clueless.
I told him the basics of it though, he kind of gets it but I dont think he will ever get as far as I am.

ajez wrote:I think that if a user installs ubuntu only because its easy, well return to Windows :|

if a user doesn't want to learn something new as emerge or xorg configuration or anything else, well stay to windows! once installed it's easy to use..

Thats kind of defeatest, I think a linux distro can be both easy and stable without resorting to the windows way.
I actually find my experiences using Ubuntu and other debian based/ like systems easy, even my husband kind of gets it (he gets gdebi on ubuntu right off as its sort of like a windows installer)
My husband is a work in progress though, I already weened him from XP pretty much but I dont want him to feel alienated right away if i install a more command line based distro like gentoo or saby.
Everythings a learning curve and some things are going to be easier then others, command line is still intimidating to a lot of folks but that is why they use ubuntu as there is not as much need for the command line there.
But give people time and they can learn anything.
And I do mind you I am not saying that ubuntu is flawless, we dont need to shoot eachother because we have a slightly different outlook on things. I think thats one of the flaws in the linux community is that we are always taking pot shots at eachother and it gets us nowhere.
I think we should look at what linux distros have in common and not what breaks them apart.
sunnyrabbiera
Baby Hen

Postby aresio » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:24

I used to have Ubuntu before switching to Sabayon; the reason is: it's still the easiest distro for starting linuxists. Gentoo and derivated are more complex, and slower* (emerge is cool, but apt-get is implicitly faster): the "optimized, from source philosophy" is hard to explain to starting people.

On the other side, Gnome is dumb, but usable. Synaptic is dumb, and quick. You find everything could be useful to start switching from Windows.

Users can grow and learn through Debian-ish distros; and be productive, too.

I tried several distros since then, and now I'm happy with Sabayon for it is gorgeous to see, powerful to work with and almost easy to use (thanks to Kuroo).

If I could find a way to use a couple of windows tools in Zabaione... I could quit using Windows and any other distro at all!! :D

(ps: sorry for my poor english..)
(pps: * I don't mean the overall system speed)
Last edited by aresio on Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
aresio
Simple Hen

Postby sunnyrabbiera » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:31

I like synaptic though, argueably the best GUI package manager out there.
And as for Gnome, I sometimes find it better then KDE but KDE is decent (sabys kde is very good by the way, much better then kubuntu)
sunnyrabbiera
Baby Hen

Postby cvill64 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 21:28

oh god lxnay....why did you start this thread? :P :P :P

well i for one welcome the new SL overloard :twisted:

:roll: then again I have a bias....

Use what you want to use is my take on it, but I like SL/gentoo the best
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion