updates for 5.4 [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: updates for 5.4

Postby huwie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 20:48

Oh, I don't mind really. I knew Sabayon was a source-based distro before I installed it so I have no grounds to complain when things break. It's kind of exciting actually! It will also be nice to be out of the six-month release cycle I'm used to (used Ubuntu for years, then Mint for a few months). A bug in something as crucial as NetworkManager is extremely annoying but instead of crying about it I've been doing lots of reading, and I've learned more about how Linux manages networking in the last twenty four hours than I ever did using Ubuntu.
huwie
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 21:10

Yes, if one is interested in Linux and IT-related issues, not just in using the OS as a means to an end, then using a source-based distribution is a great way to learn about these things (even when one of the package managers is for binary packages in order to make it easier to use for people who are not so interested in getting under the hood). Gentoo and the Gentoo tools are second to none in my opinion, and lxnay has done a fabulous job inventing and producing Entropy to sit on top of it all. The icing on the cake, really. With the dedication of the other developers, it's a fantastic distribution even if there is the odd problem now and again.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby huwie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 0:21

Hi Fitz. Hit the problem again. I tried following your earlier advice:

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Code: Select all
emerge --sync
layman -s sabayon
emerge -1v =networkmanager-0.8.1-r6

The first command appeared to execute fine, but the layman command returned "Overlay 'Sabayon' does not exist". Any ideas? Edit: Sorry for asking by the way, but what with all the teething problems I've encountered with Sabayon (I'm solving the others on my own so far) I simply haven't got around to reading all the documentation regarding portage, entropy etc yet.

In other news, I don't know whether it was coincidence or not, but I got a connection by using the following command three or four times until it worked:

sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart
huwie
Young Hen

Postby timothyRlamora » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:18

Thank you everyone for your help Solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
timothyRlamora
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:10

huwie wrote:The first command appeared to execute fine, but the layman command returned "Overlay 'Sabayon' does not exist". Any ideas? Edit: Sorry for asking by the way, but what with all the teething problems I've encountered with Sabayon (I'm solving the others on my own so far) I simply haven't got around to reading all the documentation regarding portage, entropy etc yet.

Aha, it seems that, unlike past releases of SL, the developers are no longer installing SL with the Sabayon Portage overlay added by default. So you would need to add it first, like so:

emerge --sync
layman -a sabayon
layman -s sabayon
emerge -1v =networkmanager-0.8.1-r6

huwie wrote:In other news, I don't know whether it was coincidence or not, but I got a connection by using the following command three or four times until it worked:

sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart

So it seems that the new version of NetworkManager is crashing or not running at startup, so you have to start/restart it.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Previous

Return to Networking and Wireless