Install Sabayon Linux on dedicated server

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Install Sabayon Linux on dedicated server

Postby jupi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:05

Hallo,

I rented a dedicated server and want to run Sabayon Linux on it. Of course, I have no physical access, so I can't boot from USB stick or DVD, but my hoster offers me a rescue linux which is booted via network on demand and offers a complete shell based on Debian Lenny. To install Gentoo is no problem, because I can partition the disks from the rescue tool and then follow the Gentoo installation guide (extract stage3 etc.) and reboot as soon as I've setup a working system, but I did not found a tarball or something comparable containing a sabayon base system. Can I somehow "upgrade" my Gentoo to be a Sabayon after installation, or is there any other way to install Sabayon from another running linux?

Thanks,
jupi
jupi
Baby Hen

Re: Install Sabayon Linux on dedicated server

Postby wolfden » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:30

entropy is in our overlay, so you can emerge it. You can than slowly start converting over.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby jupi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:35

How can I perform conversion? Is it enough to spmsync entropy database once, update and upgrade with equo and from then on primarily use equo instead of portage, or are there steps I have to take special care for?
jupi
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:59

Been a while since I have done it, but spmsync entropy database should work. Stage 3 isn't like your trying to convert an entire KDE or Gnome desktop. The only thing I would be concerned and to watch for, is the gentoo toolchain. Like I'm not sure which gcc is with a stage 3 and stuff like that.

I was able to like a year and half ago, switch over to entropy from a portage install, things went well if I recall correctly.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**