SL 5.4 E17 Spin x86: WiFi (Wicd) problem [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SL 5.4 E17 Spin x86: WiFi (Wicd) problem [Solved]

Postby micia » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:32

wow, now that is a nice desktop :mrgreen:

It is a bit sad to see that all the work for exalt was of no use... :roll:
At least now we know that there is a good network manager on E17 :mrgreen:
As the Sabayon installer, I personally think that it is the only thing that really needs improvement, right now, since entropy and the distro in general, is quite stable in the other aspects, I have only bad memories about Anaconda on Fedora, so I am not "super partes"... But I think that another installer would be more user-friendly, stable and lightweight than it, I especially like the suggestion made in the dev mailing list, about adopting the YALI (Pardus Linux) installer.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 13:28

Yes it is a pity about Exalt, but it seems the project is dead. I'm glad you introduced me to ConnMan, though, because I had never heard of it before. It is used by MeeGo (the fusion of Moblin and Maemo) and seems to be a network manager being groomed for mobile devices including netbooks. I discover that it is also installed (but not enabled by default) with Ubuntu 10.10 (Ubuntu Wiki ConnMan). It is in active development (latest issue came out on 4 Nov 2010).

Regarding the SL Installer, I agree with you. I hadn't installed SL for a long time until I tried to install the Xfce and E17 Spins the other day, and the experience with both was very bad. It would have stumped a newcomer to SL or a beginner to Linux and sent them running to another distribution.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby joost » Sat Dec 18, 2010 13:48

Looks like latest connman 0.64 is not working with the E17 module.
(however I do have a connection)

To be continued..
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 16:16

Same here. Just a pink box where the ConnMan icon used to be in the bottom right shelf. If I hover the mouse cursor over the pink box a pop-up windows says "No ConnMan". If I click on it I get a window with the Controls button but no networks listed in the box. Fortunately there is still a connection via WiFi. Since there is no longer a version 0.63-r1 in Entropy, I tried merging the previous version in Portage (connman-0.63-r2) but it fails with the message:

Code: Select all
checking for GLIB... configure: error: GLib >= 2.16 is required

I could fix this via Portage but want to stick to Entropy on this particular machine. Think I'll try to revert to NetworkManager and nm-applet for the time being.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 17:16

OK, back with NetworkManager and nm-applet:

# rc-update del connman default
# rc-update add NetworkManager default
# /etc/init.d/connman stop
# /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
# exit
$ nm-applet &

Regarding the problem with ConnMan 0.64, I found the following thread in the Arch Linux Wiki Forums, which might point us in the right direction to solve the problem: Connection manager troubles in Enlightenment E17.

BTW, regarding ConnMan in E17, I found this post by the developer (Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri) of the ConnMan module for E17: Enlightenment meets ConnMan.

EDIT (Sun Dec 19 16:59:44 GMT 2010): Hmm... I wonder if the problem lies with the E17 Connection Manager gadget, not ConnMan itself? The ConnMan daemon certainly works OK:

# /etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop
 * Stopping NetworkManager ...                                            [ ok ]
# # Now WiFi connection has gone down.
# /etc/init.d/connman start
 * Starting Connection Manager ...                                        [ ok ]
# # Now WiFi connection is up again.
#
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby joost » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:52

I've downgraded connman to the latest known to work version (with E17).
Will be in the main repository soon.

Next time I put it in Limbo before bumping it directly into main repository.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby joost » Mon Dec 20, 2010 21:41

The connman downgrade fixed things for me.
:D
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby joost » Tue Dec 28, 2010 14:18

http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/changeset/55482#file0

There has been a dbus name change in connman. This is the reason why things stopped working on the E17 destop.
This fix (with workaround for older connman <0.64) should be available in the next EFL update. (BETA4 I guess)

Now we know.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby TuxRace » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:03

Hi,

After a while with osx i bought a new laptop and decided to the try this SL 5.4 E17 spin. Have used both sabayon and e17 before and know what im getting myself into. Installation was a bit buggy as others have pointed out but i got it installed. Now however the wireless internett is not working, i get the bad password thingy. This thread is a bit messy so im wondering if anyone could be so kind gimme a quick step by step guide what to do for me to get the wireless up and running.

Thanks in Advance :)
TuxRace
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Networking and Wireless