Unable to access some websites from Sabayon LiveCD [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Unable to access some websites from Sabayon LiveCD [Solved]

Postby b_k_chu » Sun Nov 21, 2010 19:00

Hi,

New here but not new to Linux. Was trying out the Sabayon 5.4 LiveCD with XFCE for x86, and I cannot access certain websites from it. Places like distrowatch.com and ubuntuforums.org just come up with "Problem loading page". Meanwhile other sites work just fine, like sabayon.org and google. This just doesn't make sense to me. I tried googling for some clues about it but came up with no useful hints. I had an identical issue with trying out a Fedora 14 XFCE LiveCD. Meanwhile other LiveCDs I've been using lately, like Puppy and PartitionMagic, don't have this issue at all -- I can go to any website I like with those.

Anyone have any thoughts about this, or a direction they can point me in? If there's a way to troubleshoot/resolve this, I'd like to try, since I was considering moving to Sabayon for my main desktop. Thanks.
b_k_chu
Baby Hen

Re: Unable to access some websites from Sabayon LiveCD

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 19:47

Could be due to ipv6. Enter "about:config" in Firefox's address bar and hit Return. Click on "I'll be careful, I promise!" and enter "ipv6" in the Filter bar. You should see a single Preference Name network.dns.disableIPv6 and its value is likely to be shown as "false". If it is, double-click on it to change its value to "true", i.e. you are disabling IP version 6 in Firefox.

See also the threads Browser not working [Solved] and Possible IPv6 Issue [Solved]. As you'll see from those threads, some people have older routers that do not support ipv6. That might by your case.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Unable to access some websites from Sabayon LiveCD

Postby b_k_chu » Sun Nov 21, 2010 20:24

That did the trick. Thank you so much.

Hm. Wonder if I should add a [Solved] tag to this thread. The issue seems almost too trivial to merit one.
b_k_chu
Baby Hen

Re: Unable to access some websites from Sabayon LiveCD [Solv

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:25

As I mentioned in the thread Browser not working [Solved], another possible cause of this type of problem is the MTU. I've experienced this problem both with wired and wireless networks. For example, on my family tower PC I have to lower the MTU to 1492 in order to get SL to work with the wired network (it has a SiS Ethernet card), and today, during the attempted installation of SL 5.4 x86 Xfce edition (the installer crashes on my old Gateway Solo 9300, although the LiveCD works) I discovered that SL would only access the Web reliably via WiFi with the LiveCD if I lowered the MTU to 1464 (Linksys WPC54G v7.1 wireless notebook CardBus adapter with an Atheros AR2413 802.11bg NIC).

So the first things to suspect when you experience such behaviour are MTU and ipv6.

EDIT (Sun Nov 28 23:05:07 GMT 2010): If it is literally just one or two sites that won't load but all others load OK then the problem could be caused by a so-called 'black hole' router somewhere in between you and the site. See my post One Web site stalls (due to 'black hole' router) [Solved] for the solution to this.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless