Install Sabayon via net

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Install Sabayon via net

Postby merc70 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 16:39

Would like to install the latest Sabayon but this PC does not have a DVD drive. Is it possible to use a netinst process to install via internet?

thanks for the help...
merc70
Baby Hen

Re: Install Sabayon via net

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 17:40

If your PC has USB ports that you can specify the BIOS to boot from, an alternative would be for you to download the SL ISO and UNetbootin, create a bootable USB pen drive (in effect, a fast 'LiveDVD'), boot it and install from that.

Another alternative is to install from one partition to another: see the SL Wiki article HOWTO: Run Sabayon Without Burning The Image or Install any Linux distro directly from hard disk without burning any DVD.

Yet another approach to consider would be to use VirtualBox and use 'Install to Hard Drive' to create a permanent installation running on a virtual machine.

External DVDRW drives are cheap these days, so if your PC has a USB port then yet another alternative would be to buy one, burn a LiveDVD and install from that: HP DVD556S-H02 8x External USB Slimline DVDRW Lightscribe £35.17, Liteon ETAU108-01 8x Slim Top-Load External DVDRW £29.99, External USB 2.0 Slim DVD CD R/RW Drive Burner Writer £27.99 etc.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Install Sabayon via net

Postby merc70 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 23:04

Thanks Fitz. I am looking into DVD drive. I know they are pretty low cost. I will upgrade then march on.

thanks again....
merc70
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**