Congradualtions on a great distro!

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Congradualtions on a great distro!

Postby sunnyrabbiera » Sun Nov 12, 2006 17:35

I have tried the live CD of Sabayon and have a small install of it on my spare box and I must say its a great distro!
It's Gentoo made simple, I might not use it as my main distro (as I am more of a ubuntu fan, but whatever floats your boat yah know) but I will certainly use it as a backup.
The only thing that doesnt make me use this distro as my primary is that I am still a newbie and portage is still a bit scary for me (I once used gentoo, installing it alone was a pain and portage really scares me)
But I will use Sabayon as my "training manual" though I think I will keep my dual boot with ubuntu if I commit to an install of Sabayon as I know my husband wont get it but meh (he has enough trouble using ubuntu and thats pretty much a beginners distro)
The only real complaint I have about Sabayon is that it is a little too Vista like in looks, I dont like the vista look honestly but thats the fun part about linux is that you can make it look like whatever you want :D
sunnyrabbiera
Baby Hen

Postby johnnyhay » Sun Nov 12, 2006 19:43

Yeah, Sabayon is a wonderful and very simple distro. It has everything that you would want in a linux distro, the delicious eye candy, helpful apps, and other great things.
The only reason why I didn't switch over earlier, was for the fact that I have sensitive eyes and couldn't find the brightness settings. Without those settings linux felt like staring at a ball of fire, which burned my eyes and gave me headarches. I tried to get the nvidia settings to install but I was doing something wrong and got a mess lot of errors.
To make a long story story, I switched once I found out that sabayon 3.1 had the nvidia settings preinstalled under "Settings". THANKS SABAYON!!

The best part of linux is no constant monthly updating to protect yourself against virus attacks.

Note:
Gamma !=Brightness and my LCD's brightness and contrast was all the way down.
johnnyhay
Technological Hen

Re: Congradualtions on a great distro!

Postby wolfden » Sun Nov 12, 2006 20:33

sunnyrabbiera wrote:I have tried the live CD of Sabayon and have a small install of it on my spare box and I must say its a great distro!
It's Gentoo made simple, I might not use it as my main distro (as I am more of a ubuntu fan, but whatever floats your boat yah know) but I will certainly use it as a backup.
The only thing that doesnt make me use this distro as my primary is that I am still a newbie and portage is still a bit scary for me (I once used gentoo, installing it alone was a pain and portage really scares me)
But I will use Sabayon as my "training manual" though I think I will keep my dual boot with ubuntu if I commit to an install of Sabayon as I know my husband wont get it but meh (he has enough trouble using ubuntu and thats pretty much a beginners distro)
The only real complaint I have about Sabayon is that it is a little too Vista like in looks, I dont like the vista look honestly but thats the fun part about linux is that you can make it look like whatever you want :D

Portage is easy - just got to get use to it. If you sit there afraid you're not gonna ever get comfortable with it. I imagin you use apt-get in ubuntu? No scaier than that!
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby sunnyrabbiera » Sun Nov 12, 2006 20:37

I rarely use apt get as I use synaptic, but i do know the basics of it.
Its the compiling that makes it a bit harder, but I am getting used to it.
sunnyrabbiera
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Nov 12, 2006 20:42

compiling harder? You don't have to do the compiling, your computer does. You tell it what you want to install and that is it, computer does the rest.

Here is great guide to use and understand:

http://linuxreviews.org/gentoo/emerge/
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby sunnyrabbiera » Sun Nov 12, 2006 21:06

Well it does take a while longer then most package mamagers I am familliar with (My favorite package manager will always be synaptic, by far the easiest installer I have found even easier then anything on windows)
I think I can get used to it though, but I might still have my dual boot with ubuntu even when i master the command line more.
Like I said still a novice here
sunnyrabbiera
Baby Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion