Installation and multiple software RAID arrays

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Installation and multiple software RAID arrays

Postby KairiTech » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:49

After what seems like months of trial and error I have finally figured out why I could never install AMD64 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4 and it's completely duplicatable. During this time I updated my motherboard from AM2+ to AM3, DDR2 to DDR3, 500GB x 2 HDD to 64GB x 3 SDD without any luck.

Then I happened to attempt an install from the live DVD while the graphical Disk Utility was running and BINGO!

I have two RAID 0 devices configured using three SSDs. One for the root partition and the other for my data. Ahead of those is one for boot followed by one for swap. When I start the install I can clearly see both RAID devices go down in the Disk Utility display and they stay down until I select the drives to be included in the install. When I click "Next" the two RAID devices start up again then the first one stops after a few seconds but the second one remains active and the install hangs when the little "Finding storages devices" window pops up.

The workaround I discovered was to format the RAID partitions used for the second RAID data device so that the array never starts up. Then I am able to get almost to the end of the install. Almost because I never get the success/reboot message because when I recreate the second RAID device again during the install it never goes down at the end of the install. My system does however boot successfully even if I force the installer to quit.

A picture is worth a thousand words so where can I post a screenshot of the Disk Utility display and the hung install and "Finding storage devices" message?
Real geeks use RAID 0 - everything else is for wimps and no backup strategy is for nubies.
KairiTech
Baby Hen

Re: Installation and multiple software RAID arrays

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:02

Regarding your question about displaying an image, the best way would be for you to join ImageShack, PhotoBucket or one of the other free image hosting sites, upload your image to your account on their Web site, copy the URL of the image, click on the Img button at the top of the forum's posting window and paste the image URL between the BBCode delimiters.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**