Getting Adobe Programs To Work (Use Parallels?)

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Postby cvill64 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 21:48

also, the command is vmware, not vmware-server ;)
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby pxc » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:44

What about Qemu?
pxc
Growing Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:50

Still not working. If I try to do it in konsole, I simply get that there's no such commnad.
Code: Select all
miyagi james # vmware
bash: vmware: command not found

If I just try to run it by right clicking the desktop and clicking run and then typing "vmware" even if I run it as root, absolutely nothing happens.
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby cvill64 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 19:09

you shouldn't run it as root, you need to add yourself, as root, to the vmware group, then as normal user you can run $ vmware

remember to rerun that pl script after you installed vmware-server as you need to set all that stuff up before using
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Sat Nov 11, 2006 19:46

The configuration thing? Yeah, I did run that. Went through the network stuff all the way to the serial key insertion, and then that was the end of it. The command "vmware" simply doesn't seem to do anything. It doesn't produce an error or anything when I run it, and it says the command doesn't exist when I type it into konsole.
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby cvill64 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 20:41

open up kuser as root and then make sure you're in vmware group, if not, add yourself, then save that and then as non-root (user $) type in vmware

it works 100% on my computer
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:39

Yes, I am in the vmware group. I reran the config.pl file again and used all the defaults, and then I re-checked to see that I was in the vmware group again, and then I added vmware-server to the default run level.

Just to prove to myself that this wasn't my fault (and since it's no big deal since all my stuff is on an external hard drive), I completely reinstalled Sabayon and did it all again. And indeed, typing "vmware" and "vmware-server" into both konsole and the run dialog doesn't do anything. So, I don't know what's up, but this just doesn't seem to be working for me.

Is there some way that I could possibly get in touch with you via AIM? Or perhaps we could do a VNC so that you could "have the keyboard, mouse, and screen" of my computer? It just seems so bizarre that this simply wouldn't work for me but simply would work for you and others.
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby cvill64 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:57

my jabber is in my sig (that's the only service I use) or you can use IRC. If you wish to set up VNC, I'm EST and I will be willing to help you out but it works perfectly over here

# rc-update add vmware default
# /etc/init.d/vmware start

you did that correct?
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:53

cvill64 wrote:my jabber is in my sig (that's the only service I use) or you can use IRC. If you wish to set up VNC, I'm EST and I will be willing to help you out but it works perfectly over here

# rc-update add vmware default
# /etc/init.d/vmware start

you did that correct?

Yes, I've done that, too. I'll PM you about getting in touch.
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Previous

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion