PPPoE won't work [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

PPPoE won't work [Solved]

Postby deviant » Wed Oct 13, 2010 13:22

Hi folks,

yesterday I installed Sabayon as second OS besides Ubuntu (10.10) and got a problem with networking via PPPoE. On Ubuntu, I used to connect to the router by wicd, but changed back to network-manager, when I installed Ubuntu 10.10.
In both cases I additionally used pppoeconf for internet access, since I couldn't make NM/wicd do it.
Now, on Sabayon, I had the same problem: I got instantly access to my router without any problems (wired and wireless), but no internet access (using the DSL-tab).
With a little help of google I found a thread in this forum that recommended using rp-pppoe for this problem, which wasn't too easy to install without being online. So I booted back into Ubuntu and logged into Sabayon by chroot, what enabled me to connect to the net and install rp-pppoe (unfortunately, there is no pppoeconf in the repositories).
Then I ran pppoe-setup and afterwards pppoe-start, what gladly told me: "Connected!"
Until here, everything seemed to be fine, but any connection attempts (firefox/ping) simply time out...

Is there kind of a trick to get NM use the DSL connection on a configured LAN/WLAN connection? Or is this a hardware problem?
ifconfig output for eth0 and wlan0 is the same on Sabayon and Ubuntu, but there is an additional ppp section in Ubuntu...

My hardware is:
Code: Select all
Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8059 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 11)
"Mein Verstand ist meine Bibel, danach lebe ich" - Auf diesen Worten soll mein Reich fußen.
"My mind is my bible, that's by what I live" - These are the words to base my empire upon.
deviant
Baby Hen

Re: PPPoE won't work

Postby yuguang » Thu Oct 14, 2010 19:36

yuguang
Simple Hen

Postby deviant » Thu Oct 14, 2010 20:14

As I initially wrote, 3.b (for ppp) is exactly what I've already done; since ifconfig has the same results in Sabayon as in Ubuntu (and network is working in Ubuntu), I don' think 3.c will solve the problem; if it was a matter of modules or routes, I wouldn't be able to connect to the router at all, and pppoe-start wouldn't tell me, it thinks it was connected to the net...
(update: tried it nevertheless, but, just as I thought, it didn't help)

Is there a way to use pppoeconf on Sabayon? :wink:
"Mein Verstand ist meine Bibel, danach lebe ich" - Auf diesen Worten soll mein Reich fußen.
"My mind is my bible, that's by what I live" - These are the words to base my empire upon.
deviant
Baby Hen

Postby yuguang » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:13

Since you said the difference between sabayon and ubuntu so far is ifconfig, you might try the following to get the ppp section to show up:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/manual.html
It's probably a matter of configuration, which ubuntu might do automatically

Note: I'm not quite familiar with ppp and modems, but just applying a problem solving approach
yuguang
Simple Hen

Postby deviant » Fri Oct 15, 2010 14:46

I ain't familiar with modems, too, since I ain't using one and don't even have one (I think^^).

Meanwhile I've edited my /ppp/options, /resolv.conf and pppoe.conf a little according to the Ubuntu-config and I aint sure, whether this is new or just my absent-mindedness, but comparing ifconfig outputs with pppoe up now offers the same results in Sabayon and Ubuntu, the only difference is a necessary one: the IP address.
So obviously Sabayon establishes some kind of connection to the net and even fetches an IP address, but loses the connection instantly or something like it can't be used by browser or whatever...

Just for completeness:
ping 172.19.3.1 {the router}
PING 172.19.3.1 (172.19.3.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 172.19.3.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=2.21 ms

ping www.google.com
PING www.l.google.com (66.102.13.147) 56(84) bytes of data.
From dsldevice.lan (172.19.3.1) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

Hope this helps...
deviant
Baby Hen

Postby yuguang » Fri Oct 15, 2010 19:08

I had a problem on windows once where I had to set my ip address to connect to the internet, so try this
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

where 192.168.1.5 is to be replaced by your ip address. Replace eth0 with wlan0 if using wireless. This was also covered in the gentoo manual.
yuguang
Simple Hen

Postby deviant » Fri Oct 15, 2010 19:48

:mrgreen: Great! Thank you so much! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
deviant
Baby Hen

Postby yuguang » Mon Oct 18, 2010 18:00

Just to finish this up, if it doesn't stick after a reboot, add the line to /etc/conf.d/local.start.
yuguang
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 22:11

yuguang wrote:Just to finish this up, if it doesn't stick after a reboot, add the line to /etc/conf.d/local.start.

The file is /etc/conf.d/local in the case of Gentoo/Sabayon Linux.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless