having prob's installing xp and sabayon 3.26

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

having prob's installing xp and sabayon 3.26

Postby flsmith » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:49

when i go to auto partion, it tells me i have to make a root , but the instructions arent clear , i want to dual boot my cpu with xp but it wont do it (in the partion for me ) it said to make a root partion (/) has to have before and not after , does this ring a bell to anyone ? please help i like the ver. but it is starting to drive me nuts just running a live cd , it acts a lil screwy that way, thx!!!!!!
flsmith
Baby Hen

Re: having prob's installing xp and sabayon 3.26

Postby throdon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:03

why are you trying to install Sabayon 3.26? We are now on version 5.4 so you are two(2) major branch jumps behind on this one, only branch five(5) is supported so either get current or expect the trolls to arrive soon.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby joeoden » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:30

flsmith wrote:it said to make a root partion (/)
You need to create a partition for root and you will also need to create a swap partition you should do this manually

If your hard drive has only the xp partition then you will have to shrink your xp partition so that you can create the partitions for a linux system

The easiest way to do this is with the latest version of gparted that is on most rescue discs, I recommend to download and use SystemRescueCd http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page at least you will be able to make a backup of your xp partition so that you can restore it when you make errors learning how to do what is needed (it is very easy to do)

It is up to you what version of sabayon you want to install but keep in mind what throdon has said only branch five(5) is supported which means you will have a lot of problems trying to update the system and getting help

Before you go any further create a backup of your xp partition (use your favourite hard drive backup program)
Shrink your xp partition
Create at least 2 new partitions (one for root and the other for swap)
Get the latest version of sabayon
Install sabayon using the create custom disk layout

And the most important thing is to have fun while your are learning and reading the manuals
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby joost » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:59

We cannot support Sabayon 3.26.
joost
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**