Getting Adobe Programs To Work (Use Parallels?)

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Square Bottle » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:58

I downloaded the trial (they only let you download the beta if you want to try it out), and it installed fine. However, Adobe Illustrator CS2 and Photoshop CS2 did not want to install. I did not try Dreamweaver because I'm going to need all three anyway. You can download the trials of the Adobe programs at http://www.adobe.com if you want to. If you can get those three programs working on Cross Over, then let me know because I'd definitely be interested in not even needing an emulator, heh.
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:35

I have photoshop working but it's version 7. I guess I haven't tried the latest ones to see if they would or not. I have adapted to using linux programs instead. I'm not a fan of emulation cause in all my experiences with it, it's never stable. It took some getting use to, but the transition can happen.

Might want to look at Frank's Corner

Macromedia Dreamweaver MX
http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=dreamweavermx

Photoshop CS
http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=photoshopcs

Illustrator 10.0
http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=illustrator10

Looks like cross-over doesn't support Adobe Photoshop CS
http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=cxo
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby cvill64 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 15:13

wow...I think you came from macOS didn't you? :P You can't drag and drop like dmg files, you can either compile from source, d/l and install a binary, or build using emerge (preferred)

But the ebuild did give you the error, it was couldn't calculate kernel source, so look at the links wolfden gave you and you'll be able to emerge vmware-server
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:00

Well, yeah, MacOS 9 was my first operating system, and I do use MacOS X a lot, but I've been using Windows for quite a while. I think you may have simply misunderstood me. I didn't mean "drag and drop the program onto my computer." I meant that on their web site, they have an ebuild file that you can download. I downloaded the ebuild file, and want to put it in my "/usr/portage/app-emulation" folder.

Here. See for yourself what I mean. http://www.parallels.com/en/download/workstation/

So I've grabbed the Gentoo ebuild archive. Now what?

While we try to get Parallels up and running (like I said, I just want to experiment), I'm going to be playing with the vmware. I'm pretty new to vmware, but I don't have any questions yet on account of still needing to get it going, heh. I think I can figure out vmware though.
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:57

Parallels seems to cost a lot less, but blarg, blast that ebuild archive! It's really got me stumped, and I'll bet it's super easy, too.

Anyway, for vmware I wasn't really getting anywhere after I emerged the vmware-serve, and then I saw this: http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_setup_VMware

So, I unmerged the vmware-server and emerged vmware-workstation. (Let me know if this is a bad idea and why, heh.)

The next step on the wiki said to type this.

Code: Select all
# /opt/vmware/workstation/bin/vmware-config.pl

I entered that in. It said that I needed to agree to their EULA to continue, and that to view it, I should just press entered. So I did. However, there is no obvious way of agreeing to the EULA. I was expecting it to say at the bottom of the file "Do you agree to this? (yes/no)" or something, but nope! Any thoughts?

Edit: Predictably, it was simply to get the EULA to be agreed. I had to figure out to press q to quit, and then it asked me if I agreed. Onward ho!
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:14

Sorry for triple-posting, but this seemed to be worth a "new paragraph" so to speak.

Got through to configure the network and stuff, and seemed simple enough. But alas, no.

* Starting VMware services:                                                                                                        [ ok ]
 *   Virtual machine monitor                                                                                                        [ !! ]
 *   Virtual ethernet                                                                                                               [ !! ]
 *   Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0                                                                                              [ !! ]

The configuration of VMware Workstation 5.5.2 build-29772 for Linux for this
running kernel completed successfully.

You can now run VMware Workstation by invoking the following command:
"/opt/vmware/workstation/bin/vmware".
[quote]

So apparently, the service started worked, but then I'm assuming those exclamation marks meant that the actual services themselves didn't start. Blarg.[/quote]
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:21

So vmware is still leaving me scratching my head, but meh.

I got the ebuild archive of Parallels working! I had to use mkdir as root to make the directories after making a new overlay for those directories, and then I used cp to copy each file in the archive to its proper place. Unmasked the package, and I am presently emerging. And... emerge successful!

I feel empowered now. :lol:

At any rate, I shall begin playing with Parallels. But I'd still like to experiment with vmware. Is there a reason why the Gentoo-Wiki suggested that I use vmware-workstation instead of vmware-server like you guys said?
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby cvill64 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:22

# layman -f -a vmware
# emerge -C vmware-workstation
# emerge vmware-server

use vmware-server like I suggested and it will work
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Fri Nov 10, 2006 21:02

cvill64>the gentoo-wike article in my opinion. I'm going with you. :D

I've unmerged vmware-workstation and emerged vmware-server just like you said. It emerged fine, and I ran the config file it told me to and added it to the default run level like it said to, and I added both "root" and "james" (that's my account) to the vmware-server group like it said I needed to. All that was left was to type vmware-server into konsole as the su, since that's what it said to do to start it after everything was done.

miyagi james # vmware-server
bash: vmware-server: command not found

I tried restarting, but still got the same thing. Any thoughts?
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby cvill64 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 21:46

its the vmware group, not vmware-server group, also, you did the configuration script all over again correct?
cvill64
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion