problems with setup

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Re: problems with setup

Postby Krondaj » Wed Oct 06, 2010 21:33

What I don't understand is why when i run the live cd, all the desktop effecs an opengl work... It's just when I install it it freezes or i get the aforementioned problems... Do you know why that is?

Thanks
Krondaj
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 21:49

That I don't know, and it would be worth you filing a bug report (see the link 'Bugs' at the top right of this page) so that the developers can investigate. You'll need to give details of your hardware and software (output of the lspci command, output of the uname -a command, output of the lsmod command, output of the lsusb command, contents of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, error messages in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, and whatever else they ask you for in their reply).

You could do some investigation when you are in the LiveDVD environment, by looking at the things I have listed above. Without getting my hands on your box I don't know what is going on in your case, but it is possible that the installer is installing a different version of the NVIDIA driver to your HDD to what it is using in the LiveDVD environment (if indeed it is using nvidia-drivers when you accept the default LiveDVD boot). If you enter nvidia-drivers at the box on the Entropy packages search page http://www.sabayon.org/packages you'll see there is more than one for the kernel that SL 5.4 LiveDVD uses (2.6.35-sabayon).

My suggestion would be to file a bug report.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Krondaj » Wed Oct 06, 2010 23:18

I don't know if this helps but i managed to get an error log where it said:

[ 34.049973] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[ 34.049980] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
[ 35.329224] NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 32M/64M GPU installed in this
system is
[ 35.329227] NVRM: supported through the NVIDIA 173.14.xx Legacy drivers.
Please
[ 35.329229] NVRM: visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
[ 35.329231] NVRM: information. The 195.36.24 NVIDIA driver will ignore
[ 35.329233] NVRM: this GPU. Continuing probe...
[ 35.329245] NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter found!

Does this mean anything to you? Does this help? and, can it be fixed???

Do i need to somehow install the driver that the link above points me to? how exactly do i do this if this is required, as I have practically zero command line experience!!

Thank you very much for your help!??!
Krondaj
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 0:02

Well, I'm not an NVIDIA expert. Where are they when you need them? I know you guys are out there hiding. C'mon, give this guy some advice. :lol:

But it does tell me a few things: :)

The "taints kernel" thing is nothing to worry about, it's just the tree-hugging FOSS brigade's way of saying it's a closed-source driver (closed-source = bad :evil: ; open-source = good 8) ).

It's telling you that the GPU it detects in your PC is the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 32M/64M and that you need to use the NVIDIA legacy driver version 173.14.xx, and that you can't use the 195.36.24 NVIDIA driver because that driver does not work with your model of GPU.

So, you need to install the package x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.27#2.6.35-sabayon and uninstall the package
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-256.53#2.6.35-sabayon (and any other version of nvidia-drivers that you find installed on your PC).

BTW, this is an NVIDIA issue, not a SL issue. You just happen to have a GPU that the latest NVIDIA driver does not support.

I've lost track of where you're at. If I recall correctly you've installed SL to your HDD, right? Can you get to a desktop (whether it's under the VESA driver or not)? If not, use Ctrl-Alt-F1 or -F2 up to -F6 to get to a console (ASCII terminal screen). Log-in as "root" (no quotes) with the root user's password. Then work your way through the procedure in the SL Wiki article Fresh Install - What to do?. Then, still as root user, enter the command:

Code: Select all
equo search nvidia-drivers

to see what is and what is not installed. If some of it scrolls off screen, just use the less command as follows and press the Space bar to page through it and Q to quit:

equo search nvidia-drivers | less

Write down the packages that you want to install and uninstall from that list. Then install the one you want:

equo install nvidia-drivers-173.14.27#2.6.35-sabayon

and uninstall the ones you don't want:

equo remove <whatever>

Then you've got to do the eselect thing but this time select nvidia rather than xorg-x11 'cause you're going to be using a closed-source driver rather than one of X.Org's open-source drivers. And check the other things I've told you in previous posts and that AMD/ATI post in case I've forgotten something (like having to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, for example :wink: ). If you need to edit anything, use the nano command like so:

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The nano editor will display the main commands at the bottom of the screen. You should be able to work out how to use it with little trouble.

Don't reboot until you've gone through the whole process.

EDIT (Oct. 7, 2010 00:41 BST): BTW, to reboot as root user from the command line, you just need to use the command:

reboot
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby alonsoty » Thu Oct 07, 2010 0:59

I think it is a problematic the combination: Pentium M + nVidia GART!
I would try to adding:
Option "IgnoreABI" "on"

to the serverlayout section of xorg.conf.

EDIT on 07 October 15:30
Oops, I did not understand a damn thing because I read superficially, sorry.
Last edited by alonsoty on Thu Oct 07, 2010 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
alonsoty
Advanced Hen

Postby Krondaj » Thu Oct 07, 2010 13:30

I tried

equo install nvidia-drivers-173.14.27#2.6.34-sabayon

(my kernel is 2.6.34)

But it cannot find a dependency called sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.1.3~0.tbz2

it searches over 18 different mirror sites but cannot find it?? I tried looking dor it in sabayon.org/packages but even though it shows it's there there is nothing there to download... any other suggestions?

Thanks alot for your help, Bloody closed source nvidia drivers!!!
Krondaj
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 14:22

Oh... you're using the 2.6.34 kernel. I though you had downloaded SL 5.4, which has the 2.6.35 kernel?

Why don't you just install the 2.6.35-r5 kernel image from the Entropy repository (the package is called
sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-2.6.35-r5) using the equo command? Then you can install the corresponding x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.27#2.6.35-sabayon NVIDIA driver package, again by using the equo command. Do an equo conf update after just in case any new versions of configuration files were downloaded with the packages.

If you upgrade the kernel you'll also need to do, as root user, in a Konsole/Terminal window or in a TTY console:

# eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
  [1]   linux-2.6.34-sabayon *
  [2]   linux-2.6.35-sabayon
# eselect kernel set 2
# eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
  [1]   linux-2.6.34-sabayon
  [2]   linux-2.6.35-sabayon *
#

so that the symbolic link (think of it as a sort of shortcut, if you're used to Windows) that points to the kernel sources is pointing to the 2.6.35 directory instead of the 2.6.34 directory.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Krondaj » Thu Oct 07, 2010 20:07

Hi,

Didn't realise i'd downloaded the wrong version... Downloading 5.4 now!!!...

Once again thankyou for your help, but i suspect this isn't the lat time i ask you for help! ;-)

I'll let you know how i get on...
Krondaj
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 20:31

Oh man, you mean we went through all that and you had downloaded the wrong thing! //Throws mouse at Krondaj :wink://

You may run into the same problem with SL 5.4 if it's trying to use the latest NVIDIA driver, but at least this time you know what to do! Good luck.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Krondaj » Thu Oct 07, 2010 22:19

lol!! have a virtual black eye... sorry about the wrong version :oops: But do you know what! Instlled SL 5.4, and everything works stright away!!!!!!!!!!

But thaks to you I have learnt alot, which is one of the reasons i wanted to learn linux - the forum here is great and I think that sabayon is my preferred distro! A lot of people talk about how great the unbuntu forums are... `but i've got to say that the Sabayon folk are excellent!! Thanks alot Fitzcarraldo! i'm now going to see if entropy sulphur needs an equo

update!!!
# equo update

# equo install entropy sulfur

I also just checked eselect opengl list and it says:
[1] ati
[2] nvidia *
[3] xorg-x11

so i think all is well...

I hope you don't mind me asking for your help if i run into a few snags along the way?!?!

Many thanks... you have reall helpd me out... I understand a heck of a lot more than i did before!!!
Krondaj
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**