problems with setup

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

problems with setup

Postby gosport_gaz » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:17

Hi I've been trying to install Sabayon 5.3 using the installer from the live CD.

The system installs but fails in the setup, I get a message "Cannot stat path: u' /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.a'; and the installer hangs.

any ideas?
gosport_gaz
Young Hen

Re: problems with setup

Postby joost » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:55

Did you check if the iso you downloaded matches the md5sum?
Maybe it is corrupted?

Otherwise perhaps a bad burn?
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby gosport_gaz » Sat Jul 10, 2010 13:22

Yes, I checked the disk and I've tried ti with two disks - one burnt using K3B and one with Brasserro.
gosport_gaz
Young Hen

I Have same problem

Postby Krondaj » Tue Oct 05, 2010 21:44

Hi I get exactly the same problem with sabayon 5.4, I checked the integrity of the iso download and the disc... Perfect just get the same messsage:

cannot stat path: u'/usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.a'

It hangs; and when i reboot, it says:

Missing operating system
What is going on!?!

It is a toshiba tecra laptop... TECRA M2 - Model number: PTM20E-0MTGR-EN... If that is any help?

I don't know what to do next!?!

SOLVED!! I told it to use a vesa driver instead at graphical installation!
Last edited by Krondaj on Tue Oct 05, 2010 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Krondaj
Baby Hen

Postby Krondaj » Tue Oct 05, 2010 22:40

Now I can't get past the login screen!!!!!!!!!!

i enter the correct username and password, then it just flashes and goes back to the welcome screen...

I know I am doing the password correctly because if i enter it wrong it tells me... But if i enter it correctly, the screen flashes black a couple of times and goes back to the welcome screen

Can anybody help??
Krondaj
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 23:19

You need to use the eselect opengl set command to select the correct OpenGl module. Press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a console. Log-in as the root user and enter the following command:

Code: Select all
# eselect opengl list

Then see which number in the list corresponds to the X.Org OpenGL module (xorg-x11). If it's e.g. 2 then you would enter the command:

# eselect opengl set 2

Then reboot.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Krondaj » Wed Oct 06, 2010 20:09

Thank you. It is now working perfectly...

As a noobie, can you tell me what i just did??

Thanks
Krondaj
Baby Hen

Postby Krondaj » Wed Oct 06, 2010 20:58

Hi,

just wondering how I can now install the correct driver for my graphics card... I cannot at the moment get 3d effects on the desktop effects.. It says it doesn't work.. i used a vesa drivr, but i'm quite sure I have an Nvidea card in this laptop... Problem I don't know what it actually is... is there a way to find out what card it actually is and then installing the correct driver for it??

Thanks very much!!
Krondaj
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 21:13

Krondaj wrote:Thank you. It is now working perfectly...

As a noobie, can you tell me what i just did??

Thanks

There are a number of different OpenGL libraries available, and it's possible to install more than one. To manage this situation, Gentoo/Sabayon provides the eselect tool so that the user can select the appropriate OpenGL library for the video driver (s)he is using.

In your case, the closed-source NVIDIA driver was not working on your PC so you decided to use the VESA video driver, which is a basic driver that works on most hardware, including hardware that does not work with other drivers. It might be a buggy driver, rather than the hardware itself. A different version of the same closed-source NVIDIA driver might work, even if the version you tried didn't. It seems that the NVIDIA closed-source driver (nvidia-drivers) has been variable in its reliability of late. Mind you, so has the closed-source AMD Catlayst driver (ati-drivers).

When you switched to the VESA driver in your xorg.conf file, OpenGL on your installation was still configured to use the OpenGL library for the closed-source NVIDIA driver. By using the eselect opengl set <n> command you reconfigured your installation to use the applicable OpenGL library that works with the open-source VESA driver.

To find out more about the eselect tool and its options, you can enter the following command in a Konsole/Terminal window:

eselect help

Although it is written with the AMD closed-source driver in mind, do read the following post, as the same fundamental principle applies to the NVIDIA closed-source driver, which is also a kernel module: ATI Driver Installation [Solved]. In the case of NVIDIA there is more than one open-source driver available: xf86-video-nv and xf86-video-nouveau. The latter is apparently problematic at present and, last time I looked, an SL developer had blacklisted it in one of the configuration files in SL. There is also good, old xf86-video-vesa which usually works as a last resort if the others don't, albeit without the fancy 3D graphics. Different manufacturers' GPUs have different drivers; for example the Intel GPU driver is xf86-video-intel. Some people have trouble with that too abd also have to resort to using the VESA driver. There are many video drivers for various manufacturers' GPUs; you can see a list of the open-source video drivers by using the command "equo search xf86-video" in a Konsole/Terminal window.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 21:25

Krondaj wrote:Hi,

just wondering how I can now install the correct driver for my graphics card... I cannot at the moment get 3d effects on the desktop effects.. It says it doesn't work.. i used a vesa drivr, but i'm quite sure I have an Nvidea card in this laptop... Problem I don't know what it actually is... is there a way to find out what card it actually is and then installing the correct driver for it??

Thanks very much!!

You can use the lspci command to check which GPU is in your PC. As root user in a Konsole/Terminal window, enter the command:

lspci

Then you need to check which kernel you have got installed:

uname -a

Then you need to see whether there is a matching closed-source nvidia-drivers package (I'm assuming you do have an NVIDIA GPU) for that kernel version:

equo search nvidia-drivers

If there is, you need to install it and remove the other installed versions.

Then you need to use the eselect command to point to the nvidia OpenGL library.

Then you need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the name of the driver declared in that.

If you read the post regarding AMD/ATI GPUs that I gave the link for in my previous post, the process should be apparent, even if in your case you are dealing with nvidia-drivers rather than ati-drivers.

If you search the SL Forums you'll find other posts on doing this for nvidia-drivers. You'll also find one or more articles in the SL Wiki too. I seem to recall a recent post in these forums by someone who downgraded the nvidia-drivers to an earlier version in order to get his GPU working with a closed-source driver.

BTW, "closed-source" means what it says; nobody other than the manufacturer -- in your case NVIDIA -- knows what's in there.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**