Ra2860 Help [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Ra2860 Help [Solved]

Postby Ambivalent_Echo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 15:17

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me with what I'm sure is a very newbie question.

I have a wireless card that is documented online as using the ra2860t chipset (so I'm assuming it's the ra2860 family). The problem I am having is that I can only connect to my wireless network if it is using wireless-g, and when I try to connect to wireless-n it won't connect and keeps asking for a password. My router runs much better in wireless-n only mode for myself and for my roommates, so if I can't get this working I'll probably have to stick with windows unfortunately.

I see that I have net-wireless/ralink-rt2860-firmware-11 installed from entropy, so I should have a working network card I would think. I'm really not sure where to go from there. If anyone could help I'd me immensely grateful.
Last edited by Ambivalent_Echo on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:15, edited 1 time in total.
Ambivalent_Echo
Baby Hen

Re: Ra2860 Help

Postby joost » Sat Oct 02, 2010 20:32

Are you using KDE?
If so make sure that Kwallet is activated.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby Ambivalent_Echo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 21:56

Yes I am using KDE, however kwallet is indeed activated.
Ambivalent_Echo
Baby Hen

Postby joost » Sat Oct 02, 2010 21:57

Ok then I wouldn't know what the problem is, just checking the obvious here. :D
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby Ambivalent_Echo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 22:00

Well I'm glad I didn't fail the obvious problem test at least. Thanks for trying though :)
Ambivalent_Echo
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:25

Hmm... Looks like it might be a bug in the rt2860sta driver (which is a kernel module).

The Ralink firmware ebuild in the Sabayon overlay, and the resulting binary package in the Entropy repository, are built from Version 11 of the software on the Ralink site:

Code: Select all
$ eix rt2860
* net-wireless/ralink-rt2860-firmware [1]
     Available versions:  (~)11
     Homepage:            http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html
     Description:         Firmware for Wireless Ralink RT2860PCI/mPCI/PCIe/CB(RT2760/RT2790/RT2860/RT2890

[1] "sabayon" /var/lib/layman/sabayon

http://web.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/S ... Linux.html
Code: Select all
Ralink Part Number..............................................Date...........Version
Firmware RT2860PCI/mPCI/PCIe/CB(RT2760/RT2790/RT2860/RT2890)....07/10/2008.....11

Notice the release date for the firmware, given on the Ralink Web site page: 7 October 2008. Perhaps the driver is old too.

Now read the following blog post dated 1 May 2010 with a source code fix to get Wireless N working under WPA encryption with a PCI Wireless card that uses the RT2860 chipset: Ubuntu 10.04, Wireless chipsets, and WPA Security.

I suggest the OP files a bug report in the SL Bugzilla (see link 'Bugs' at top right of this page) and, if he's lucky, some kind soul will build a version of the rt2860sta module for the Entropy repository with the patches given in the aforementioned blog post. (Unless, that is, the OP wants to follow the steps in that blog post and try to build it himself.)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Ambivalent_Echo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:14

Well I quit being a dummy and realized I needed the kernel sources to build it myself, but I got it working from the link you gave. I'll file a bug report soon so that it might help out someone else in the future.

Thanks so much for the help, I'm really excited to have my wireless working properly while still getting to play with linux.
Ambivalent_Echo
Baby Hen

Re: Ra2860 Help [Solved]

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:29

Glad you got it working. You may have noticed that, before you posted, I edited my previous post when I actually read that blog post and realised the bug is in the driver (module) rather than the firmware.

One thing I noticed whilst googling is that Ralink has two different pages: the one I gave the link to earlier, and the following: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2, which has different software versions. Confusing. They ought to tidy up their Web site.

EDIT: BTW, you might want to send an e-mail to Ralink, telling them about the bug. Their technical support e-mail address (according to their Web site) is: FAE@ralinktech.com.tw
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby PGHammer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 18:51

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Glad you got it working. You may have noticed that, before you posted, I edited my previous post when I actually read that blog post and realised the bug is in the driver (module) rather than the firmware.

One thing I noticed whilst googling is that Ralink has two different pages: the one I gave the link to earlier, and the following: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2, which has different software versions. Confusing. They ought to tidy up their Web site.

EDIT: BTW, you might want to send an e-mail to Ralink, telling them about the bug. Their technical support e-mail address (according to their Web site) is: FAE@ralinktech.com.tw

I also have an Ralink-based wireless adapter (Tenda WG311U wireless-N stick) which Sabayon 5.4 K x64 picked up sans prompts (which was not the case with the SMC wireless-G stick the Tenda stick replaced; I had to install it as part of the post-update chores via Equo/Sulfur). I had a wireless-N router, but I finally updated the stick-adapter to "catch up".
PGHammer
Young Hen

Postby gurkeli » Fri Nov 19, 2010 17:04

i also use the rt 2860(in my little netbook (eeepc asus 1000 hd)i installed it via equo and it workes fine,i use gnome :D
gurkeli
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Networking and Wireless