Low-memory graphical installer workaround (TIP)

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Low-memory graphical installer workaround (TIP)

Postby PGHammer » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:38

If you have a system with a low amount (1 GB or less) of system memory that is otherwise caspable of running Sabayon (especially 5.4), but have had issues running the graphical installer from the live media, there's a handy workaround on the same media (and I am not talking about the *text* installer; I had issues with the text installer on the 5.4 DVD). If you select the Graphical Installer from the live DVD's menu, you get, instead of something like the 'buntu installer, a lightweight, though functional, desktop; this is by design. You start a konsole (K Edition DVD) session by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop and selecting it, and then typing "installer" (minus the quotes, of course) in the resultant window, and proceed as normal. (The system is a P4 2.4GHz original Northwood with 512 MB of RAM; the 512 MB is the bare-minimal Sabayon desktop requirement.)
PGHammer
Young Hen

Re: Low-memory graphical installer workaround (TIP)

Postby lxnay » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:35

If one wants to just install Sabayon, the "Graphical Installer" boot option should be preferred. It auto starts the installer as every Sabayon release did, why are you telling people to open a terminal and do the same?? It's done automatically.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Re: Low-memory graphical installer workaround (TIP)

Postby PGHammer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:50

lxnay wrote:If one wants to just install Sabayon, the "Graphical Installer" boot option should be preferred. It auto starts the installer as every Sabayon release did, why are you telling people to open a terminal and do the same?? It's done automatically.

Only because it *didn't* do so in my case (5.4 K live DVD x32), and may not in other low-system RAM situations (while the graphical installer did launch when started from a terminal, it was noticeably sluggish). While it would be nice if automatic utilities always did what they were supposed to, sometimes they don't; that's when you have to give them a kickstart. (Workarounds are workarounds for a reason.)
PGHammer
Young Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**