SabayonLinux 3.1 in Distrowatch Weekly

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

SabayonLinux 3.1 in Distrowatch Weekly

Postby ed » Mon Oct 16, 2006 13:41

Ladislav Bodnar has compared it to Mandriva 2007:
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... ode=1#blog

I know not everyone was too appreciative of Ladislav's review of 3.0 but this seems a little better, though not entirely knowledgeable. Problems he had:

- Slow to boot
- No Vi :roll:
- Beryl config tools a little rough round the edges
- Default fonts

This is my interpretation of his criticisms in trying to make them a bit more constructive:

I've already left him a comment about slow boot times as it's an easy thing to improve if he'd looked at the forum. The slow boot is something many people complain about and it is relatively easy to improve with the tutorials provided. However, can any of those things be implemented during the installation? If you have custom partitioned, why not disable lvm2? If the live CD can detect USB hard drives then surely the installer could toggle doslowusb on or off for an installation to disk.

I know many people don't like Vi but it is a very small package and seeing how there is already a choice of several window managers all of which are much larger than Vi, why not include Vi as an option?

Beryl and AIGLX are of course still very new so the config tools aren't the greatest priority for the developers. He does say that it is better than Mandriva's drak3d tool though.

As for the default fonts, it's an easy thing to change so perhaps have discussion here for which font is best and use it in the next release.
ed
Simple Hen

Postby lxnay » Mon Oct 16, 2006 13:57

Fonts: DejaVu will be used
Slow boot: with 3.2, the installer will trigger doslowusb and dolvm2 only when needed.
vi/vim: oh god, is that a major problem?
Beryl: needs to be resolved upstream, contact Beryl usability team
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby Shadowx » Sat Nov 04, 2006 18:35

I know a lot of *nix that swear by Vi/Vim, but I think it's more of a point of habit more than anything else. But Vi has always seemed like a Linux default app, almost like ls to be honest, but I really don't care about not having it. And it's so easy to merge it, it's really just a complaint of laziness. :)
Shadowx
Baby Hen

I left but would like to come back if

Postby maprx » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:15

I really liked Sab 3.0 worked great. 3.1 and the beta drivers was a nightmare for me. Changing the nvidia drivers in gentoo is not too easy. Thus, I left and skipped fedora and went to the new Ubuntu. Well Ubuntu works fine and looks great. But I am bored and want to run Sab again. Question can Sab dual boot with Ubuntu? Can the Installer, resize the Ubuntu disk?

Thanks
maprx
Young Hen

Postby cvill64 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 15:04

yes it can :lol:
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion