Possible IPv6 Issue [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Possible IPv6 Issue [Solved]

Postby zhris » Sun Sep 05, 2010 13:11

I seem to be having the same problem several others are. Fresh install of Sabayon 5.3, I can ping to my heart's content (wired *or* wirelessly), but can't browse, use Sulfur, Pidgin, Xchat, etc. I tried the various solutions posted, and using the 'about:config' in Firefox and disabling the IPv6 gives me web browser access, but no other apps seem to be able to connect. My DSL Modem is a Motorola (Netopia) 3347, and I don't think it supports IPv6. My other computers (running various versions of Windows and *buntu) all work fine. Is there something else I can try? Thanks!
Last edited by zhris on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
zhris
Baby Hen

Re: Possible IPv6 Issue

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 15:13

Looks like you are having the same issue as caio and Crunnluath (and possibly fletcher), and it's definitely ipv6-related. I wonder what has changed recently to make this become a problem for several people. Perhaps a change in the 2.6.35 kernel? Who knows. I assume you have already tried un-commenting the following line in the /etc/modules.d/aliases file?:

Code: Select all
# alias net-pf-10 off             # IPv6

You could try rebuilding the kernel to globally disable ipv6 to see if that solved the problem (I don't know for sure it would) but that would need experience and expertise. However, as you have a working connection to your modem via Windows and Ubuntu machines, you could try the following work-around which I found via Google:

[netopia] Netopia 3347-xxx Linux DNS ipv6 work around

See also the thread to which it links.

I don't have your model of modem and don't experience the problem myself, so I have not tried the above method.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Possible IPv6 Issue

Postby zhris » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:35

Thanks for the quick response, but it looks like I'm out of luck. My /etc/modules.d/ folder is empty, rebuilding the kernel is far beyond my meager linux fu, and my modem/router doesn't appear to have telnet access (or any equivalent setting in the GUI. Also, I'm hesitant to change anything in the modem; 3 other computers, an Xbox 360, a PS3, a PSP, and 2 cell phones all connect to the modem fine right now). I'll keep an eye out, since I don't seem to be the only one experiencing this I'm hoping to see a definitive solution soon. Thanks!

EDIT: I was able to telnet into the modem after all (had to change a few settings to allow it), applied the fix you linked to, and am now happily downloading system updates; that seems to have fixed it! I'm still considering this a Sabayon issue more than a modem issue due to the sheer number of other devices that worked flawlessly before including 2 other linux dustros, but I'm glad it's finally working. Thanks again!
zhris
Baby Hen

Re: Possible IPv6 Issue [Solved]

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:31

You're welcome.

Regarding your comment that you consider this a Sabayon issue more than a modem issue, please note that the other Linux distributions may have older (earlier) kernel versions than Sabayon, or the developers explicitly disabled ipv6 in their kernel. Also note that the solution was originally posted in a thread created by a Windows XP user with the same problem (Delay or freeze accessing Internet - TCP/IPv6 may be cause). Note also that, further on in the thread, a Fedora 11 user posted that (s)he was also experiencing the same problem.

dowtchaboy wrote:This was on my brand-new Samsung Netbook (N130) and yes it came with XP SP3 already installed.

granviller wrote:We're having the same problem with Fedora 11. The computer is getting the router ip address as the DNS server via DHCP.

Another solution is to not make changes to the router but to change the network setup to get an address only and then put in a dns server of your choosing. Since it's linux you can run a DNS server on the box it self. Other DNS server that you can use would be Google's DNS and OpenDNS, which should resolve the problem.

The problem seems to be that the router is older and doesn't support IPv6 properly and therefore causes problems. The DNS setting pointing to the Router means that the router is being used as DNS proxy and isn't handeling the IPv6 DNS lookup properly.

It's not a Sabayon 'issue'; all indications are that it's an ipv6 problem with some older router hardware. If some Linux distributions and other OSs happen to work with these older routers then that is likely to be because ipv6 is disabled in their kernel.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless