This is what confuses me too. I might add that I'm fairly certain during my attempts to setup Samba earlier I had done some restarts and I do not recall seeing two entries started as a result.Fitzcarraldo wrote: Hmm... I thought samba is added by default to the default runlevel when one installs SL. Can't recall ever having to do it myself when I've done a new install.
What I did do yesterday before this happened was go through one of Wolfden's tutorials on updating/synchronizing (emerge, equo, sulfur, entropy, portage, layman) which ended up in my changing to a newer kernel apparently as I now have two SL entries at boot 2.3.34 and 2.3.35.
It's after doing this and executing another Samba restart that I noticed doing so caused two components to start.
This leads me to believe that for some reason unbeknown to me there was one component of Samba missing to that point thus causing my issues.
This is the list of what I have running automatically and I made the Samba entry.....
Code: Select all
# rc-update show -v wpa_supplicant | lircmd | nscd | net.ppp1 | termencoding | boot net.eth1 | laptop_mode | crypto-loop | modules | boot mdraid | rpc.idmapd | swclock | snmptrapd | net.lo | boot xinetd | net.eth0 | net.ppp0 | net.eth6 | net.ra4 | slpd | mit-krb5kadmind | nfsmount | default dmesg | sysinit local | default nonetwork rpc.pipefs | net.aol | mtab | boot net.ath2 | cupsd | default urandom | default NetworkManager | default net.eth2 | cpufrequtils | bluetooth | eposd | net.wlan1 | udev | sysinit svnserve | atieventsd | net.ra5 | lm_sensors | net.ath3 | mit-krb5kdc | dhcpd | rpc.gssd | rp-l2tpd | fancontrol | rpc.statd | hwclock | boot dhcdbd | net.ppp2 | lvm | boot root | boot bootmisc | boot net.eth8 | udev-dev-tarball | ip6tables | fsck | boot mysql | net.eth5 | multipath | system-tools-backends | net.ra2 | udev-postmount | default killprocs | shutdown samba | default hald | boot net.eth4 | ntpd | dropbear | hdparm | staticroute | fuse | udev-mount | pcscd | smartd | dhcrelay | netmount | repository_admin | avahi-dnsconfd | sabayonlive | pciparm | network | syslog-ng | default savecache | shutdown net.ath4 | nfs | vixie-cron | default dhcpcd | rpcbind | consolekit | boot fcoe | iscsid | lircd | mysqlmanager | localmount | boot speech-dispatcher | repository_services | ntp-client | boinc | default saslauthd | consolefont | boot numlock | net.wlan3 | slapd | installer-text | sysctl | boot snmpd | net.ppp3 | git-daemon | pwcheck | rsyncd | sysfs | sshd | mdadm | default alsasound | default hostname | boot vpnc | virtualbox-guest-additions | acpid | avahi-daemon | ipw3945d | net.ra3 | xdm-setup | net.ra1 | procfs | boot net.eth7 | openvpn | devfs | sysinit pommed | hotplug | boot dbus | boot deluged | net.ath0 | pydoc-2.6 | gpm | net.ath1 | iptables | dcbd | brltty | dmcrypt | serial | boot keymaps | boot net.ra0 | xdm | boot dmeventd | fbcondecor | default net.wlan2 | device-mapper | boot swap | default mount-ro | shutdown rpc.svcgssd | net.eth3 | x-setup | boot installer-gui | net.wlan0 | multipathd | dnsmasq | courier-authlib | rsyslog | irexec | sabayon-mce | boot
Yes thanks I ran across that in Wolfden's article and wrote it down on a sticky for future use until I get more comfortable with commands.
Now off to figure out how to get rid of that second boot entry.....................