Problem with installation, setup crashes durign conf[Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Problem with installation, setup crashes durign conf[Solved]

Postby kubald » Fri Aug 13, 2010 0:07

Hi,

I'm in a great trouble with installing Sabayon 5.3 x86 with KDE. I've tried graphical and text installer, and at the end of installation (at "Sabayon configuration") I've always see the same error and setup crashes, after reboot I only can see: "Cannot load operating system". Error during installation is: QA: Cannot stat path u'/usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.a'. I'm not able to save any log, cause setup stop and I can do nothing then.

My hardware is: 2 x P4 3,2 GHz each, 1024 MB RAM, 110 GB HD, nVidia GeForce 5600FX 128 MB.

I will appreciate any help!

Best regs,
Kuba
Last edited by kubald on Fri Aug 27, 2010 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
kubald
Baby Hen

Re: Problem with installation - setup crashes durign conf

Postby albfneto » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:57

you can run the graphical installer until it finish completely?

when you reboot, you can open, boot sabayon? even without X?
you see, when try to open sabayon,an bash with this word:

login:

?

your errors are problably caused by the incompatibility of the nVIDIA driver. video boards nvidia series 5 are only compatible with nvidia drivers series 173, not the newer ones!
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
albfneto@fcfrp.usp.br
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby kubald » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:12

albfneto wrote:you can run the graphical installer until it finish completely?
No, I cannot. Error appears in graphic installator (running from booted from DVD Sabayon or directly from DVD boot menu) and text installator too.
albfneto wrote:when you reboot, you can open, boot sabayon? even without X?
No, I only see kinda message "Cannot load operating system" and it stops, i see only black screen, HD not working.

I am able to run LiveCD and nVidia card works properly (during booting I see big nVidia logo :) ). Also, I know that my card is a little bit problematic and newer drivers for another OS doesn't work.

Can you see any solution? Maybe I can install Sabayon without nVidia driver and then manually install 173* drivers?
kubald
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:45

Try installing with the VESA driver? See the SL Wiki articles for how to enter kernel boot parameters (which some call 'boot cheat codes'): http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=En:Tips#Cheat_Codes and Boot parameters and workarounds for problematic Hardware.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**