Installation 64-bit 5.3 hangs on Acer Aspire 5745G [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Installation 64-bit 5.3 hangs on Acer Aspire 5745G [Solved]

Postby NotExcessive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 14:00

I'm trying to install the 64-bit version on an Acer 5745G i7-core machine. With either the Sabayon_Linux_5.3_amd64_G.iso or Sabayon_Linux_5.3_amd64_\K.iso images, the system boots, runs the installer for a while, and then hangs the system (totally stalled with a black screen although the power is still on). It runs the scripts a little past the section where it configures the graphics, and that's that.

This is the right ISO to use for the i7 processor, yes?
NotExcessive
Simple Hen

Re: Installation of 64-bit 5.3 hangs on Acer Aspire 5745G

Postby DanySK » Tue Aug 10, 2010 14:22

The ISO is right. Did you check the md5? If the md5 is correct, I suggest you to use Unetbootin and a 4GB USB drive (if you can get one) to create a bootable USB stick. Then use it to install Sabayon avoiding all the issues that may be related to the disc (and being times faster).
DanySK
Technological Hen

Postby NotExcessive » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:26

I've found that apparently it's not happy with the Nvidia GeForce GT 330M hardware. When I originally tried Sabayon on this new laptop, I installed the 32-bit Gnome version, and it ran right out of the box - sweet. Called up the Nvidia splash screen, ran in full resolution mode, Compiz ran like a dream.

Now I've wiped the installation and tried to install the 64-bit version. I did eventually manage to get the KDE install done by adding "xdriver = nvidia" to the boot options, booting the normal desktop environment, and running the installer from the live CD desktop. However, the screen resolution was a disaster at 1024x768 with aspect ratio distortion, so I selected to install the Nvidia drivers from the package manager. I did this, rebooted the machine, kernel version now said .35, and system hangs after loading network manager and a few other things... I presume this would be the point where it would try and load the Nvidia driver.

Any clues on how I get around this issue? I really don't want to be stuck running the 32-bit Gnome version on this machine.
NotExcessive
Simple Hen

Postby DanySK » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:31

You may try to install 256.xx series driver
DanySK
Technological Hen

Postby NotExcessive » Wed Aug 11, 2010 15:34

I think I'll give up on the 64-bit version and go back to the 32. After mucking around for hours I finally got Gnome to install, only to find that when I try to run repository update, it falls over and complains about checking the database integrity. I don't know why the 64-bit builds are such a pain to run. The 32-bit just goes out of the box.
NotExcessive
Simple Hen

Postby DanySK » Wed Aug 11, 2010 16:22

It's pretty strange however, I have no problem on 64bit KDE, and I use it on 8 systems (6 of them in sync with mainline).
DanySK
Technological Hen

Postby NotExcessive » Wed Aug 11, 2010 16:26

I think I read somewhere there was a compatibility issue between the Nvidia driver and the later kernels. When I use unetbootin to install using safe mode, I can get it onto the system. If I use any normal mode (run or installer) then it falls over.
NotExcessive
Simple Hen

Postby DanySK » Wed Aug 11, 2010 17:32

For me it worked perfectly on kernels .32, .33, .34 and now .35, always using the latest driver in Entropy, with 7600GT, 8400GS, 8600M GS, GT130M.

Have you already tried the latest DAILY to see if problem persists? If it's not solved, it would be good to open a bug report.
DanySK
Technological Hen

Postby NotExcessive » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:59

I've just downloaded and unetboot'ed the AMD64G version dated August 11. Much to my surprise, it just booted up and runs fine off the USB, although the battery monitor doesn't work (still) and I didn't see the Nvidia splash screen come up - mind you the display still seems to run fine.

I didn't find the Compiz icon anywhere, and when I ran compiz-manager it just came up with a hung white screen which I could only recover from by doing a "killall" from the command line. I presume the Compiz behaviour is just due to my running it off the USB.

Thing is, if I install this version on the basis it boots off USB, how sure I can be that the installed version will behave, as currently I'm running the 32-bit version without any dramas at all (apart from the battery thing, and mic input on Skype doesn't work) and have already spent some time customising the laptop already...
NotExcessive
Simple Hen

Postby DanySK » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:17

NotExcessive wrote:I didn't find the Compiz icon anywhere, and when I ran compiz-manager it just came up with a hung white screen which I could only recover from by doing a "killall" from the command line. I presume the Compiz behaviour is just due to my running it off the USB.

It should work from live also booting from USB. Wait for a DAILY which works perfectly before install.
However, if I were you I'd stick with 32bit if I had 3GB RAM or less.
DanySK
Technological Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**