Installation fails... tryed out 2 CDs same issue.

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Installation fails... tryed out 2 CDs same issue.

Postby Lightbringer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:11

Hi every1 im new in the comm and i have a issue with the 5.3_k_amd64 installation of Sabayon.

The CD boots and loads the menu... i select " install sabayon 5.3 ( graphic mode ) " and it start loading all the structures and data... i looked in the vervose mode and i couldn't find anything wrong... all seems fine and loaded but still nothing happends... no graphic installation, nothing.

I can switch to another tty and use the console as a root but that's it...
In the tty7 ( graphic one for default ) a black screen and only the common slash sparkling there almos like laughing at me xD

Can you guys help me ?

My system conf is...

Core2Qad 2.4
3 HDs, 2WD and 1 Maxtor.
2GB ram.
An ATI5770 graphic card with a Nvidia one.

Nothing else in the CPU.

Thanks to all, hope u can help me...
Lightbringer
Baby Hen

Re: Installation fails... tryed out 2 CDs same issue.

Postby wolfden » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:07

can you boot to the desktop and than run the installer?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Lightbringer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 17:46

No, i can't... seems to have an error and the aplication must close.

A " line:97 " error.

This is the whole string of the error...

" Assertion failed: index < array->next, file block-vvfat.c, line 97 "

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

And that is that...

Maybe the 2 vid cards at once in the CPU is more than the installer can handle... i don't know. Ubuntu seemed to install just fine, but then again... Debian based system is not the same than Sabayon.

Thanks for reading this thread.
Lightbringer
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:10

Where and when do you get that error?

So it won't boot up to a desktop? Our wiki has some cheatcodes that maybe will work for problematic hardware?

I guess I just don't understand what you are saying in your last post. Please try to explain in a more clear method, like from the moment you put the disk in.

Also make sure you md5sum is correct, check wiki howto do that, and make sure you burnt the dvd as slow as possible. If you have a 4GB flash drive around, I highly recommend unetbootin to make it a boot sabayon flash drive. The performance is 100xs better and you eliminate the possibility of the dvd drive being the problem. A weak dvd drive reader cause installs to fail. I have experienced that myself twice now. Drive seem and works perfectly normal, but install issues like crazy.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Lightbringer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 18:06

Ok, i'll try to be more specific...

If i boot the CD it loads and then first installation screens appears... everything fine so far, then i select the " install sabayon " option of the menu and the installation starts... the " load bar " fills up and it seems like it's working but no graphic at all, just a blinking ( - ) sign the upper left corner of the screen, nothing more happen, i can change the TTY alt+ctrl+F1 and the bash command line shows up, and it is already logged as root... but no installation of anything, no graphic KDE or anything more.

If i try the " virtual sabayon " running the DVD right from the Windows Desktop, then the error shows up, the one described in the other post.

Now, my DVD burner is an ASUS DVD, brand new, only 3 months of life on it and no problems.

...the DVD was burned in a 4x speed so no problem there.

And im sorry for my english, but im from Argentina.
Lightbringer
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:22

have you check the md5sum?

you can try updating the installer with a command as root # liveinst-update-quick
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**