Network works but I can't browse the web

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Network works but I can't browse the web

Postby caio » Fri Aug 06, 2010 13:56

Hello to everybody,
I'm an old Gentoo user and in the last days I installed the sabayon distro on my notebook.
My problem is that I can't browse the web neither with my Sabayon nor with other Linux distro (I.E. using the Rhobuntu on my mobile device).

I've a linksys as AP connected to my ADSL modem, with the last stable dd-wrt firmware (I also tried to use the tomato firmware but without solve the problem).
I connect my linux to LAN using the wireless connection with DHCP settings (the modem is my DNS), encrypted with WPA (SSID broadcasted).
In order to solve I tryed to:
-disable IPV6 putting the ipv6 module in the blacklist file (and now the module isn't loaded)
-change the MTU of my AP to 1480
-set some public and working DNS manually
-disable encryption

I'm able to ping every public IP, and using Windows all works fine.
It's very strange but seems to be a Linux related problem, because I have it even with different distro and devices.

Some suggestion?

Thank you
caio
Baby Hen

Re: Network works but I can't browse the web

Postby DanySK » Sat Aug 07, 2010 15:47

If you can ping public IPs, then it's probably a DNS related roblem. Just adding the OpenDNS IP addresses to your DNS conf file should address the thing.
DanySK
Technological Hen

Postby caio » Wed Aug 11, 2010 20:32

No it's not, I tryed to use a lot of different DNS, from open dns to my internal router, and none of them solve my problem (I can browse using them with windows).
And when I say that I ping outside I mean that public hostnames are resolved and reply to my ping.
caio
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 21:05

Try setting the MTU to 1492:

Code: Select all
ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1492

Although you say you have blacklisted the ipv6 module, I would suggest disabling it in Firefox as well as blacklisting (and try instead of blacklisting, too), just in case Firefox is doing something odd. So try entering "about:config" in Firefox's address bar and hit Return. Click on "I'll be careful, I promise!" and enter "ipv6" in the Filter bar. You should see a single Preference Name network.dns.disableIPv6 and its value is likely to be shown as "false". If it is, double-click on it to change its value to "true", i.e. you are disabling IP version 6 in Firefox.

If you haven't already done so, read through the thread Browser not working [Solved] in detail, as it has more tips and may be of help.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby caio » Thu Aug 19, 2010 13:29

nothing to do, I tryed to set the mtu but it didn't work.

It's so strange, using tracepath I can see all the packets going to the receiver, without any problem. I can also ping public site without problem, and I can resolve all the hostnames in this way. Seems that UDP protocol works fine, while TCP has some problem.
In fact if I emerge some packet, I can see that when it starts to download the packet wget remains blocked at 0KB, like if it would be unable to communicate with the server.

Some other ideas?

Thank you
caio
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 14:02

So you can ping using both an IP address and a domain name, even sites you have never contacted before and therefore the domain name to IP mapping is not cached in your modem (DNS)?

Do you have the same problem with a wired Ethernet connection? Can you try it to see what happens?

What are the contents of your files /etc/conf.d/hostname, /etc/hosts and /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf?

Are you using NetworkManager or Wicd? dhclient or dhcpcd as the DHCP client?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless