Okay, here are the details of the investigation:
I went to the sabayon site and went to the bit torrent site and clicked on the 64bit (x86_64) KDE version 5.3 and downloaded that and burnt it to a DVD . I didn't have the md5sum for this particular iso, so I couldn't do an Md5sum check.
I booted up the live DVD to have a look at the operating system and I clicked on the icon install to hard drive and I went through all the stuff specifying users, root passwords and the like. It finally started to install and as soon as it started to install it popped up with an error. I didn't do a liveinst-update-quick as I didn't know anything about it, previous installations of Sabayon have gone swimmingly.
I went back into the system and had a look at the system files, there were two folders and 2 separate files. The folders were named boot and system volume information and the other files were called bootmgr and bootseek.bak. There were no files that you mentioned probably because the installation had so little time to work. I tried to post some of the error message at the start of the thread.
There were no log files to speak of, so I can't post them on here. I will post the results for lspci later as I can't quite get get at them (The new install of Sabayon is on a different system, I will post it in the next post)