Problems with installation

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Problems with installation

Postby hunt_mat » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:13

Hi,

I downloaded the latest version of Sabayon (5.3) to install on my brand new PC. I booted up the live CD with no problem and I clicked on the install sabayon icon. Everything went well when I arrived at the screen "Please select a device". The notes on installation are a little sketchy at best, I saw some ticks in the format column and I thought that meant that everything had been selected correctly. so I clicked on next and went on with installation and when it started to install that is when the errors started. It said that there was a problem and stoppped the installation.

Did I do something wrong? The installtion manual really didn't make any obvious mention of this stage.
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Re: Problems with installation

Postby hunt_mat » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:27

I went through it again and I got te following error message:

anaconda 14.3 exception report
Traceback (most recent call first):
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/pyanaconda/storage/formats/disklabel.py", line 245, in commit
raise DiskLabelCommitError(msg)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/pyanaconda/storage/devices.py", line 1343, in destroy
self.disk.format.commit()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/pyanaconda/storage/deviceaction.py", line 218, in execute
self.device.destroy()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/pyanaconda/storage/devicetree.py", line 684, in processActions
action.execute(intf=self.intf)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/pyanaconda/storage/__init__.py", line 295, in doIt
self.devicetree.processActions()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/pyanaconda/packages.py", line 109, in turnOnFilesystems
anaconda.storage.doIt()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/pyanaconda/dispatch.py", line 208, in moveStep
rc = stepFunc(self.anaconda)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/pyanaconda/dispatch.py", line 129, in gotoNext
self.moveStep()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/pyanaconda/gui.py", line 1248, in nextClicked
self.anaconda.dispatch.gotoNext()
DiskLabelCommitError: Could not commit to disk /dev/sda

Local variables in innermost frame:
msg: Could not commit to disk /dev/sda
self: DiskLabel instance (0x247ba90) --
type = disklabel name = partition table (MSDOS) status = False
device = /dev/sda uuid = None exists = True
options = None supported = False formattable = True resizable = False
type = msdos partition count = 0 sectorSize = 512
align_offset = 0 align_grain = 2048
partedDisk = <parted.disk.Disk object at 0x24d56d0>
origPartedDisk = <parted.disk.Disk object at 0x24d56d0>
partedDevice = <parted.device.Device object at 0x24d5490>

This doesn't mean much to me.
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Jul 10, 2010 19:38

you should be grabbing the /tmp/anaconda.log and dmesg to file a bug
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby hunt_mat » Sat Jul 10, 2010 20:31

That's the whole point. There was no installation. it bombed out as soon as I tried to install. I got passed all the stages where you select things and then bang, it bombed out as soon as it started to install. So there are no files to obtain.

What do you think could have caused this?

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Jul 10, 2010 21:12

the log file and dmesg are there, u started the installer, click thru, bombs = log
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby hunt_mat » Sat Jul 10, 2010 22:21

when I try to log on it crashes at the grub stage. I can't boot up the system at all. I tried looking at it from my windows partition but I can't see it from my system

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:17

now you are talking two different issues here, which issue is it, installer crashing or boot up issues?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby hunt_mat » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:12

The issues are one of the same. Because the installer crashes almost immediately, it writes enough so it overwrites a small amount of previous distro that was installed, which when you log on you're left with an error with grub when you log on. Because I can now only get into my windows account, I cannot access any of what is on my linux drive.

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:35

Ok, this thread is turning into a mess.

If the installer crashes, of course you will not be able to boot up Sabayon as it is not installed properly. You can however boot up the live disk and access your linux information.

You haven't mentioned if you verified the md5sum or the burn. You haven't even stated which Sabayon Linux 5.3 you downloaded. Did you try just using text installer from the boot up menu instead of booting to a desktop?

Even if the installer crashes you can still get the anaconda.log and dmesg via terminal like pastebunz /tmp/anaconda.log and pastebunz /tmp/dmesg that will return to you a couple urls with the information. You have to do this before you shutdown the live disk tho as it will be wiped out. Another thing you can do is tail the log files with something like tail -f /tmp/anaconda.log right after you start up the installer.

You can also try updating the installer via terminal as root: liveinst-update-quick than try installing it.

So in your next post I would like to see:
Which Sabayon Linux are you running – x86, x86_64, gnome, kde, core ?
How to reproduce the issue? Give us the steps on what you did to get the issue(s) so we can try and reproduce it.
Any and All Log files that pertain to the issue.
Hardware List - lspci will give u that
verify md5 and burn or using flash drive via unetbootin
did you try just text install from boot menu
did you run as root liveinst-update-quick

The more information you can give the better and it cuts down on the post tag and saves everyone time. Good Luck
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby hunt_mat » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:53

I burnt the iso to DVD and booted it up and found that it worked fine and then I went on to install it. Would this be a problem?

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**