"Force Quit" or "End Process"

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

"Force Quit" or "End Process"

Postby Square Bottle » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:08

I've been getting very comfortable with Sabayon, but there's one thing that still eludes me. In Windows, there was CTRL-ALT-DEL to view the running processes, and you could force quit or end a process if you needed to. In Mac OS X, you just right click the icon in the dock and force quit there (or you can do it in the apple menu).

How does one view running processes in Gentoo, and how does one force quit them?
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby cvill64 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:16

I suggest learning about killall, top, and ps functions that are built into all linux distros :)

so lets say something is amiss and eating all my ram, well I can fire up top and check, but it might not be there for some reason as its sporatic, so then I would fire up "ps aux" and and I could find the exact process running or make an educated guess, so its firefox-bin gone silent but eating my ram, so again, I type "killall -9 firefox-bin" and it kills the process. Some apps aren't that easy, some like amarok, run under amarokapp, sneaky eh? ;)
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:00

cvill64 wrote:I suggest learning about killall, top, and ps functions that are built into all linux distros :)

so lets say something is amiss and eating all my ram, well I can fire up top and check, but it might not be there for some reason as its sporatic, so then I would fire up "ps aux" and and I could find the exact process running or make an educated guess, so its firefox-bin gone silent but eating my ram, so again, I type "killall -9 firefox-bin" and it kills the process. Some apps aren't that easy, some like amarok, run under amarokapp, sneaky eh? ;)

I'm curious about that -9. Are there other options (killall is the command, the -9 is the option and the firefox-bin of your example is the action, right?) that do stuff? What does the -9 designate, and are there other numbers?

I'll bet that this is one of those things were you can just link me to a page all about killall and -9, but Google (or rather, GoodSearch :) and the gentoo wiki seemed to think that my search was a bit vague, so yes, sorry to take up time with questions like these. If there is such a link(s), then that'll be cool. :D
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby lxnay » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:22

Try, CTRL+ESC :)
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby JAwuku » Sat Nov 04, 2006 19:42

You can quit errant GUI processes with xkill.

Just install it with:

Code: Select all
emerge -va xkill

and you can either add it to your menu, or find a terminal, and type xkill

a "skull 'n crossbones" cursor replaces your mouse cursor, and you just zap the process by clicking on its window.
JAwuku
Young Hen

Postby cvill64 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 21:51

a lot of times you can't see the errant process so doing it the gui way is not the best way imo
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion