YouTube, GoogleVideo, etc

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

YouTube, GoogleVideo, etc

Postby Square Bottle » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:45

I've spent the past week trying to get videos on sites like YouTube and GoogleVideo (or their embedded equivalents on other pages) to work in Sabayon, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's even possible to have them play in the browser. I've experimented with mplayer plugins and flashplayer and whatnot, but either I didn't do it right or I've been completely going in the wrong direction.

If anybody has gotten such videos on the web to work seamlessly, they could make me a very happy man by posting a howto or something. :D
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby j.augen » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:20

My YouTube videos work without any interaction. What problems are you experiencing?
j.augen
Baby Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Sat Oct 28, 2006 18:03

j.augen wrote:My YouTube videos work without any interaction. What problems are you experiencing?

They simply don't work. When the page loads, it doesn't look like the embedded videos were filtered out, because the space where they should be is still there (only completely blank, as if it was an empty cell in a borderless table). There is no error, or at least no error message as far as I can see (tell me if I should be looking somewhere for something). Just doesn't show the video, or the little embedded video player box.
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby cvill64 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 19:10

unmask and then emerge flashplayer 9 and then (if you're using 64bit SL, you need to use firefox-bin to be able to use flashplayer) it will work
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby Square Bottle » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:12

flashplayer 9 does not seem to be in the Portage tree. that is to say, it isn't showing up in kuroo. Is the package named something other than "flashplayer?"
Square Bottle
Growing Hen

Postby cvill64 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:18

ween off your dependence of kuroo ;)

$ emerge flash -s

that will search for packages that have flash in them, and then you will find that the proper name is netscape-flash

however, like I said, you must unmask netscape-flash 9 before emerging it ;)
cvill64
Sagely Hen

New Question

Postby mgmguy1 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 20:30

So to unmask a package I just go to command line and type ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge netscape-flash or do I do something else ?

Newbie here.
mgmguy1
Simple Hen

Re: New Question

Postby Keynone » Wed Nov 01, 2006 21:10

mgmguy1 wrote:So to unmask a package I just go to command line and type ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge netscape-flash or do I do something else ?

Newbie here.

To unmask a package, you will need to add netscape-flash to /etc/portage/package.keyword
Keynone
Young Hen

Postby mgmguy1 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 22:33

I'll try that when I get home. Thanks Keynone.

BTW this destro has better docs then the one I was useing before. Lot's I can do and learn in real time! Thanks again
mgmguy1
Simple Hen

Postby Keynone » Wed Nov 01, 2006 22:41

mgmguy1 wrote:I'll try that when I get home. Thanks Keynone.

BTW this destro has better docs then the one I was useing before. Lot's I can do and learn in real time! Thanks again

No problem. That's why we are here. I also love the Documentation that is available.
Keynone
Young Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion